Skeg Guards ?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by bigcatman0001, Apr 14, 2008.

1. bigcatman0001

bigcatman0001 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I just bought a new 20ft Seark V-cat and not even 2 weeks later hit up one of my favorite fishing holes in a river and bam I found a good way to locat rocks in a river, with my lower unit. Unfortunatly I cant afford a 3rd lower unit so I was wondering if anyone had found a worthwile skeg guard or prop protector or advice on jack plates ect. I hate to go spend even more and it be a waste. MAybee Ill just have to use the old faitful river boat!

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I hate to hear that you have had bad luck with your lower unit. The river is always a gamble whether you will get your equipment out in one piece of not, even for seasoned veterans. Debris is always changing positions in the river. Rock shoals always stay basically the same. It comes to mind that there is a rock about the size of a volkswagon heading down river from Blue's near three creeks. That HUGE rock has changed positions through the years. That being said, the best advice I can give is to KNOW the river system you are navigating. The best time to learn the river is when it is extremely low. You can get a mental picture of every shoal on the river when it is dead low. If you don't know the river real well, use EXTREME CAUTION when navigating. Use the depth finder. If you unexpectedly come into a rock shoal, trim the motor all the way up and drift across it. I have personally not ever lost a lower unit, though I have had many hits through the years. I realize that I digress from the original question, but if you use the above advice, a skeg protector is not necessary.
    Bill in Bennettsville

3. CarolinaRig

CarolinaRig New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    One of my friends just did the same thing, He tore over half of his skeg off!
    He ended up buying a Blackfin Skeg Guard, It took us about 45 mins. to put on and it looks awesome! You can order the size you need from Cabela's...they have them for $79.99!

:big_smile:

4. bigcatman0001

bigcatman0001 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thanks guys I guess I will just use the old boat in the river since the entire boat is worth less than the lower unit on the new motor. :eek:oooh: