Skeeter Control?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by Arkie55, May 1, 2006.

1. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Ok, I know this is going to sound like a wimp question but I really don't care what it makes me look like. How are you guys controlling the skeeters in the delta country? I fish a river in delta that is loaded with Flathead. I want to start fishing and targeting the flats. I know that they are more active during the night and very early hours of morning. I grew up in the delta and when I was a kid the skeeters didn't bother me much. Now I live in the foot hills and we don't have many skeeters. They drive me crazy now!!!! What's the best method you've found to repel or control them while fishing at night?

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Terry, I bought one of those nets that you pull over your head. I also ware a long sleeve shirt sprayed with repellent. Works for me. Wal-mart has the nets.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Go to the library and pull up everything on the THERMO-CELL repellent kits.They seem to work for everyone that has tried them.:::big_smile:

4. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    arkie-
    Ive used the thermocell thing and it is awesome. You can buy them now even in Walmarts. I have never seen anything work like it. I do a whole lot of Bowhunting for deer where scent control is a major issue so I cant wear bug repellant cause it stinks. In early bowseason those skeeters can be feirce. I started using the thermocell about 4 years ago and Ive been amazed ever since. Once you turn it on, it takes 10-15 minutes and the skeeters are gone. It is awesome for the deerstand where you sit all day. However, when fishing, everytime you move spots you have that 10 - 15 min window for the skeeters to get you. Thats where 100% deet comes in handy for me. It is the only bug repellant you will find in my boat. I am real carefull not to get it in my eyes or mouth though. Ive had an eye swell shut before and my tounge go numb. Used properly though it is the best. But really with that thermocell, I usually dont even use the deet unless they are really biting bad in those first few minutes. It seems like it takes at least a few minutes for the skeeters to really find you in a new spot. Anyways hope that helps.

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thermacell!

My buddy got one for turkey hunting (swatting biting insects is not conducive to sucdcessful hunts, apparently).

I wnet ahead and bought one last year, and I love it. I fished this past Saturday night. Only bug bite I got the whole time was on the ride home in my truck. Another good thing is that they not only stop the biting, they also just plain keep them out of the boat so they aren't buzzing in your ears and driving you nuts. (Have you figured out yet that I hate mosquitoes as much as you do?)

They have them in Cabelas and Bass Pro.

1 Tip. The little blue pads last longer than they say, so you will run out of the butane cartridges faster. They have the same kind of cartridges at WalMart in the hair dryer section for butane powered hairdryers.

6. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with the themocell. I have heard nothing but good things about them and I have one on order. Should be here today in fact.

7. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    thanks guys , good post i ben using one of those battery poware ones from bass pro 2 yr now seems to work just uses a battery after about 24 hrs , , deet

8. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Sounds like the thermocell is the way to go. I bow hunt early season too and don't use any spray. I'll be checking in my local Wal-Mart stroe for one before the weekend. Thanks for the replys.