Skeet and trap shooting

Discussion in 'Bird Hunting' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Mar 12, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I KNOW THIS ISNT THE RIGHT POST TO PUT THIS IN BUT TO DAY I WAS SIGHTING IN MY BREAKBARRELL AND I SAW A PIGEON FLYING PRETTY LOW TOWARDS ME... SO WITH OUT THINKING I STOOD UP AND PUTT MY SIGHTS ON HIM...GOTEM.... THRESE GOTA BE A RUSH WHEN U SHOOT A FLYING TARGET OR SOMETHING...

ANYWAY 2 YEARS AGO MY DAD AND I WERE GOING TO GET INTO TRAP SHOOTING BUT NEVER DID. HE USE TO RELOAD HIS OWN SHELLS AND HAS PROBABLY 250 RELOADED SHELLS AND ANOTHER 250 NEVER SHOT. THEY SAY A-A
    1 1/8- 8
    LIGHT

ON ALL OF THEM

WE STILL HAVE THE OLD RELOADING STATION AND IVE RELOADED ABOUT 100 SHELLS SO I KINDA KNOW ABOUT MAKING THEM... I SUPOSE THAT UNLESS IM HUNTING I CAN USE ANY LOAD RIGHT??? THE ENDS OF THE SHELLS WILL OPEN AND THE SHOT GETS LOOSE ( WHAT TO YOU DO TO KEEP THEM SHUT)

WE HAVE A 870 WINGMASTER (FULL CHOKE)AND A OLD WINCHESTER ( NO CHOKE)THAT MY DAD HAD THE BARRELL BLOWN OFF OF BECAUSE A WAD DIDN'T LEAVE THE BARRELL ALL THE WAY :crazy:

IS THERE ANY SUGGESTIONS TO HELP ME GET INTO TRAP SHOOTING.

THANKS FOR VIEWING YALL

2. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    there is more to it than just loading shells you need to know what powder charges your loader loads all powders are different and the wads is too get you a reloading manual it will tell you all the different loads and what casings and wads to use or you could blow up another one

3. slimdaddy

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    there is a difference in primers also

4. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    THE SHELLS I LOADED WERE THE SAME LOADS MY DAD MADE WHEN HE WAS TRAP SHOOTING SOME 20 ODD YEARS AGO... HE DID HUNT BEFORE BUT IT GOT TO THE POINT WHERE HE LIKED THE SHOOTING BUT DIDNT LIKE THE KILLING ( SO HE WENT TO TRAPSHOOTING )

EVERYTHING WE LOADED WENT OFF AND HAVENT HAD A BAD 1 YET

WHEN I GET A CHANCE THIS WEEKEND ILL DIG ALL OF THE STUFF OUT WHEN I CLEAN MY ROOM.

WE DO HAVE A CHART BUT I NEED TO FIND 1 ON THE WEB OR HAVE THIS 1 LAMINATED

ANY MORE SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE AWSOME

5. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Leroy, Using old powder and primers is a very bad idea, When reloading don't take any chances, proper powder weight and wad pressure is critical. Please be safe.

6. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa

7. slimdaddy

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith

8. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa

9. slimdaddy

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Leroy,I cant add much ,Get you a good reloading manual and READ IT. I have the lyman shotshell reloading guide. It covers from 410-10ga plus buckshot,slugs ans has a step by step intro on the loading process. I shot some trap in my 20 s and it is a lot of fun ,but nowdays ,I can buy promo loads from walmart cheaper than I can load my own.

11. wild bill jp

wild bill jp New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Leroy, if you are still in high school, check to see if there is a Scholastic Clay Target Program (SCTP) at one of the local gun clubs. You might be able to join the team. Usually, the SCTP teams are partially funded and provide target shooting practice and training. I used to coach a team here in KY until just recently when the cost of shooting got way out of hand.