Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine has a private pond and it has lots of baitfish like Bluegill, chubs, shiners, etc. blue gils range from 4-8" probably and the shiners, chubs, suckers are prob in the 6-10" range.

He is trying to get rid of a lot of those baitfish cause he wants to have primarily trout in there.

He said I could take bait out of there all summer. Since its a private pond, I plan to use a gill net.

What diamater mesh do you guys reccommend...I would also like to be able to catch decent size shad with this also if I ever go out of state.

· Registered
4,336 Posts
A buddy of mine has a private pond and it has lots of baitfish like Bluegill, chubs, shiners, etc. blue gils range from 4-8" probably and the shiners, chubs, suckers are prob in the 6-10" range.

He is trying to get rid of a lot of those baitfish cause he wants to have primarily trout in there.

He said I could take bait out of there all summer. Since its a private pond, I plan to use a gill net.

What diamater mesh do you guys reccommend...I would also like to be able to catch decent size shad with this also if I ever go out of state.
Keep in mind with a Gill Net if the Mesh size is 1" it will stretch to 2". Also check and see what you can use where your thinking of using it out of state. If they say you have to use a 2" stretch to 4" that,s your bet..

But for what your looking for just make some minnow traps. Easy to make and you bait them up go back check them every day and have bait.
Pete

· Registered
514 Posts
Depending on how big the pond is you may be better off seining and throw netting it than running a gill net. Gill nets as far as I know are designed to catch fish larger than chubs and shiners. Like the other guys said too, fish traps may be productive, and I'd definately give seining a shot. Being that it is a private pond you might even be able to find one of the pond/garden places that sell koi and such to come out and shock it for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.