Size of boat 4 the mississppi and missouri

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by skinner, Jul 22, 2007.

1. skinner

skinner New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hi,all Newbie here my buddy got me in to night fishing on the missouri and mississippi rivers. We catch some but no monsters well not enuff, so i was wondering if you guys could help me out. No no i don't want to know where your spots are unless you want to tell me. HA HA Back to the question, What is to small of a boat for the mississippi and misouri river? Would like some of your thoughts if you don't mind.

thanks
    Skinner (aka, Scott):cool2:

2. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    Hi Scott,
    I fish from an 18 foot boat on the Mississippi. I am very comfortable with this boat on the river. The only time I got nervous is when I had a hook out below L&D 25 and they opened the next gate over to wash out some trash. Got a pucker factor of about 6 on that one.

Attached Files:

3. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    "cirrhosis of the river"...ROFLMAO...is that the name of your vessel?

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Just depends on the individual I guess, what size boat does your buddy have? I've been out in an 1872 SeaArk and I have a 20 SeaArk. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable in anything smaller than an 18 footer, but I think that's because I am a rather large individual and most of my friends are as well, that's why I purchased a larger size boat. I also enjoy taking my three year old daughter out with me, and my boat has deep sides to help preventing her from falling out. But then again this is JMO :wink:

5. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    Yep! I admit I didn't come up with it myself, but if fit perfect for me so there it is.:big_smile:

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I've got an old (1980) Lowe 2072 jon and I love it. It's the base model hull, so no wells, casting decks, etc, so I've got tons of room and love the open floor plan. Before that I had a 15 1/2 foot semi-v and it worked on the MO river, but man was it cramped with 2 people and gear. I love the 20' because on all-night trips 2 adults and my 8 year old have plenty of room for gear and to crash out if you want to. I generally fish all night and I like to have room to stretch out with the sleeping bag and take a snooze around 3AM. I never worried much about boat size for safety, but I do like to be comfortable:big_smile:

7. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    If is was me, I'd buy a 20ft boat with a 72" bottom. I've got 17 footer,and it's got plenty of room for 2 people unless you are tournament fishing out of it then it's really cramped. I do though, run the Mississippi 2-3 times per week including trips to Alton dam, ect. and I haven't taken on any water yet.... I don't think that length to me is a real big issue, I just like the wider boats as they are a lot more stable when moving around.

8. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I have a 1754 and have had no problems on the Mississippi. It gets a little tight with 3 people though. Would have got 1860 but it didn't fit where I had to park it.:tounge_out:

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Scott. Looks like you got your answer!!

10. argel41

argel41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Scott. sounds like you got some good answers to your question. Just always be aware of what's going on around you and you will be ok... good fishing argel41

11. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have grown up fishing the MO river...when I was younger my dad had a 16 foot big jon, which isn't big at all, but we fished out of it forever. When I bought my first boat, I could only afford a 14 ft deep V with a 20 hp johnson. I fished with it for a year or so, until I could afford something a little bigger. Then i bought a 16 ft lowe wide jon with a 40 hp mercury... I fished with it for a year or so...until I could afford something bigger, and now I have a 1760 roughneck with a 70 hp Johnson! I guess what I am trying to say is you can fish out of just about any size boat, it just depends on how comfortable you are and or you want to be! Of coarse the bigger the better!

12. dhogue

dhogue Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Welcome Scott, before I got my SeaArk I fished for years on the MO and the Miss river in a 18ft Jon with an old Mercury 35Hp. Sorry, this picture was taken when a family member at the time used it for storage. I sold two months ago cheap $600.00 bucks, motor still runs good.

Attached Files:

13. skinner

skinner New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanx for the help all. I think i will get atlest a 18 footer thanks again

14. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    hi they have it, get a wide boat ,still be careful the river is the king, it will bite if you let it. i have a 20ft. cc with 8foot beam gets around very good out there, even with 100 gallon tank for the tourneys

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I definitely thing wide is more important than long. Given the choice between a wide 16' and a narrow 18', I'd go with the wide one every time. Of course, both wide and long is even better.

16. maddog

maddog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would get what you can afford and then move up from there. We started fishing the MO. in a 15ft boat with a 9.8merc. Every year I see somebody on it with a similiar boat and an old motor of some sort.

17. Parker

Parker New Member

State:
    Weston, Missouri
    I fish out of a 1660 Lund-- 60 hp evinrude etec, I wish that I would have went bigger but it gets the job done for now. I will get a bigger boat in a few years.
    Its not about the length it's about the space that you have to move around

18. kingneck76

kingneck76 New Member

State:
    Jeff City MO
    I currently fish out of a 24 inch lawn chair. Used to fish from a 18' 42" wide jon boat of a buddys. I think that was the size. He called it a duck hunter special. it was nice, and roomie. Untill the day the snake fell out of a tree into it. My buddy didnt think it was big enough for the three of us, and jump in the water. he didnt let me run the trolling motor after that. lol. good time's