Size of Blue Catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by ST Lunker, Jul 26, 2006.

1. ST Lunker

ST Lunker New Member

State:
    VA
    I have heard that if you catch a huge blue cat, keep fishing the area and there will be more huge blue cats around. Should I jump to the conclusion that blue cats move around with blue cats of the same size? If I am fishing one location and catch 2 or 3 blues in the range of 2-5 pounds, should I find a new location if a 20+ pounder is what I'm looking for?

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I read an article the other day that says smaller blues (up to 15 or 20 lbs or so) are essentially scavengers - they'll eat whatever they can find, whenever they can find it.

Once they get over about 20 lbs, though, they become predatory as their size and continued growth requires that they eat larger and more frequent meals than they could find just by scavenging. So they start to hang out in areas where they can ambush prey such as shad, rather than just wandering around aimlessly looking for a bite to eat here or there.

And long before I read that article, I've always heard that, if you're catching small fish, the big ones are somewhere else. After reading the article, I can see it makes sense.

3. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    it is sometimes true about big fish hanging out together, mostly where a lot of bait fish are located.

4. lock52_fisherman

lock52_fisherman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What I've noticed about blues is that you'll catch all different sizes out of the same hole. I've left out of the same hole with fish ranging from 2#s to 40#s . (just recently too) I've always caught a large selection of blues when fishing for them.

5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have also seen where small and big blues will be caught in the same general location. If I am catching fish of course I will keep fishing the same hole no matter what is caught out of it.

6. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I saw an "In-fishermen" episode about 6-8 years ago where they were fishing for blues. They had an underwater camera and there was a school of bluecats around there boat. over 100+ fish between 5-25 pounds were schooled together.

Blues do school, similar to sandbass, and you could assume that the smallest fish wouldnt want to hang with the biggest because of a few factors. 1. the bigger fish could eat the smaller ones, and 2. the bigger ones could eat more agressively than the smaller fish, leaving less food for the smaller guys.

I would agree that if you find a big fish, there are probably other fish of a similar size around. Something drew 1 there so others will be hunting for the same reason.

7. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    well..from experience that i have noted...if you find some blues..there are definitely others in the area.

For the most part...i catch them a little bigger than the one before..then there is a bit of a stepdown in size.

It would seem a smaller, faster fish hits the first couple of times, then the bigger boys/gals get to the bait...then the smaller crowd comes in for the spoil.

Clear as mud? :big_smile:

cyas
    rc

8. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I have caught 6 inch blues out of the same hole that produced twenty and thirty pounders. I think blues of all sizes will gang up on baitfish together and feast. I have also caught large flatheads in the same holes with mixed size blues and channels. If the bait is there the cats will be there. Vern

9. ST Lunker

ST Lunker New Member

State:
    VA
    Thanks a lot guys, very helpful info. Seems to me like staying on the baitfish is the key here!

10. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Thats a great topic and some good responces so far. I wonder if there is a difference in the area being fished. River/Lake and Hole/bank?

I find that similar sizes hang together, but dont figure this to be a fact all the time.

They seem from my experience to follow this rule on up the scale too! I am allways on the lookout for that "single huge arch" in the ambush area! I think that it will most likely-not be in the usually fished hole or area, but rather right out in the channel where it is seldom if at all fished.
    If it is caught at a often fished spot then I would think that was an exceptionally hard feed craze as it normally is holding/feeding out of the normal beaten path.