size of baits

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kvillcat, Jun 23, 2009.

1. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    Ok guys and gals. I've heard of people useing 2-3lb carp for flatheads. So here is my question. What is the largest bait you use for catfish? For me it is about hand sized bluegills.

John

2. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If I was fishing from a boat, I would used large hand size baits. I do believe in the big bait big fish theory. I do not have a boat and only bank fish so I use smaller baits because I need casting distance. Good luck.

3. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like hand sized gills, large goldfish, and creek chubs in the 6-8" range. Stay safe and good luck out there!!!:wink:

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use 4"-6" perch and 6"-10" bullheads from the boat and bank for flatheads. When fishing for blues and channels I try different size baits until I find the size they want.

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,ll use aything up to aboue 18 inches!:wink:

6. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    im not big on the big bait big fish theory. i think big bait u might not get the taps that u get from the small fish but i was in a tourny and i was using big chunks of skip and not doing good. i picked up a small skip maybe 4 inches long cut his head and tail off which made it maybe a 1 inch square and threw it out in the same hole. 10 minutes later i caught big fish of the tourny with a 45 pound blue. it hit that bait when there was 5 other lines in same hole with larger baits. i change up alot until i find what they are looking for.

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    in the spring i like smaller baits 4-5 inch, come fall i like to use baits up to 8-10 inch

8. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I use hand size gills and 2-3" chunks of cutbait.

9. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    straight from the potty, eh?

just playin, how big do the bass have to be to use them as bait? I know you aren't supposed to keep them under 15 inches, but I'm sure they'd be great bait.

If i catch a small 2-3 pound flathead, i might put him out on a bank line...I've never really had any luck with this method, but I've heard that flatheads will go after any fish that are like 1/3 of their size. I may have the measurement wrong, but its something like that.

10. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I like a medium to large bream(5-8 inches) as my best bait. Have used goldfish up to about 10 inches and have even used a white catfish around 2 pounds for bait. That being said my two biggest flatheads have come off of 6-7 inch redbreast.

11. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I like all sizes but usally like to have one rod with a big bait on.

12. CBurns87

CBurns87 New Member

State:
    Topeka Kansas
    My husband an i use goldfish or perch that are 5 inches or better..i personally also believe big bait = big fish.