Size of baits-is it really that important?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN, Dec 21, 2009.

1. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    I have been studying this on here reading everything I can find and I am stumped on something....most of the great fishermen on here are talking
    smaller baits in the winter due to water temps,etc.But,our water temps do not drop anywhere near as low as alot of places where these guys are saying this.So,I guess the question is...does this really apply to us in the lowcountry of SC?My experience has been in very early spring/late winter thru the fall months,so I really know nothing about this.I have used either bream or herring and used pretty sizeable chunks/fillets,so Im wondering about this.Thanks for your replys in advance.Im really serious about doing alot of winter fishing this year......Im not gettin cabin fever this year.

Im being taught that alot of these fish have not moved out of the area where I do most my fishing,so besides maybe the bait I use changing for what they eat,can the size be that important here?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I would think that you would still down size your bait some. I would just try some of both. Have a rod with your regular size bait and then a rod with a smaller bait. Just see what one does better.

3. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Thats what I normally do anytime I fish Steve.I always fish a few different
    sized baits.Thanks for the reply.I guess maybe it makes sense that they might not eat quite as much in the winter,but Im interested to see what some of these local fellows say...

It confuses me when folks tell me that some of their biggest fish have been caught here in January thru March which is our coldest time...

4. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    On down the cooper where I fish Keith I haven't noticed a difference. I use the same size chunk of mullet. I believe the water temp has dropped quickly over the last three weeks into the low 50s. Lots of water is being sent down from the lake. When we stablize for a bit I think things will liven up. I tend to stay at the same size give or take. Small bream, finger mullet, shrimp, clams, shiners, fiddlers are all pretty close to the same size give or take an inch. I figure that's what they are eatin year round in the river, so that's the size I go with.

5. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    Most fish in the winter are feeding on the dying small shad, there will always be some that will always still want the bigger baits.

6. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    In my experience bait size has made a big difference in my fishing. also the kind of bait. when the water gets below 50 degrees i prefer small bait when its warms up load the hook and listen for the drag

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Small baits in the winter; the size of half your thumb. Thats it what I heard from the legendary Capt. Daryll a couple of years ago. Bait half as big as your thumb.

:wink:

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    One key factor in bait size is hook point exposure. Its a must. I to have found over the years that smaller baits work in the cold water.

9. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "....I to have found over the years that smaller baits work in the cold water...."

It must be harder to chew in cold water!!!

:smile2:

10. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have experianced smaller baits catch more fish in the winter than big bait

11. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Here is my take, Big bait for big fish and small bait for all fish.:wink:

12. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    make sense to me .

13. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    i vote on big bait. not as many fish but most of the time big ones

14. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    i have to say i am the type of person who is willing to have one or two pull downs all day and still consider it a gereat day, as long as they are quality . i think in the winter you have to be a patient fisherman if you want to catch that trophy . i use very big bait and when i say big i am talking a1/2 lb perch or half of a 1 1/2 lb crappie. you just got to be confident in your technique in this type of fishing :wink: you have to be willing to trust your electronics and choose that spot that will hold that trophy you seek:big_smile: i have caught alot of quality fish on small baits but as pop pop said "big bait big fish small bait all fish" when i go fishing i have a 24'toon that is set up to where you can put 20+ rods out with no problem , i don't use that many unless i take a boat load of people but even if i am by myself i put out atleast 10 rods most times 12 and i promise i will always launch 2 or 3 off the back with huge bait and most times i will lock them down turn the clickers on and forget about them until i move or i hear a screaming drag then i go back and hold on because i know it is more times than not a 25lb+ class fish :big_smile: but a small dd fish can take a huge bait if you give him time. i know i am giving more than the ???? but i tend to get excited when i talk big cats:big_smile::smile2:

15. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "....i use very big bait and when i say big i am talking a1/2 lb perch or half of a 1 1/2 lb crappie...."

They ain't no fish around that can eat a one pound crappie. They would choke. That's a big crappie!!

:eek:oooh:

There was a picture in the paper this week of a man with a big 'ol catfish and he said he used a one pound largemouth as bait. Some people will tell you anything thinking you will believe it.

:roll_eyes:

Capt. Darryl said "bait as big as half your thumb in the winter".

:wink:

16. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    I would fillet the perch an fish with it and eat that crappie:wink:

17. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    All these fish where caught on bait 6to8oz And the water temp was 50.SO I dont think the thumb thing matters.:confused2:

Attached Files:

18. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    And these.........

Attached Files: