Size of Bait

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by ST Lunker, Aug 7, 2006.

1. ST Lunker

ST Lunker New Member

State:
    VA
    Does the size of bait matter when trying to catch the big blue cats? Will a 20+ lb blue cat bite the same size bait as a 5 lb blue cat if they are around?

2. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    The size of bait does matter, basically if a catfish can put it in its mouth it will try to eat it. So normally if you want a big cat you need to use bigger bait and at least a size 5/0 hook, 4/0 and under for smaller baits like smaller shad. I normally use big shad heads, or skipjack heads for the bigger cats. So it may take longer to get a bite then fishing for smaller cats because bigger ones are not always so abundant in areas as smaller ones.

3. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    ^
    he could not of said it better

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    You can certainly catch big fish on small baits. The problem is, you can also catch small fish on small baits.

So using a larger bait helps select for larger-sized fish. Doesn't keep the small ones from pecking it to death, but makes it less likely you'll get any on the hook.

If you just want to catch a lot of fish, use a small hook and a small bait.

5. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    yes and no...

A smaller fish has a harder time taking a larger bait but after they reach a certain size it doesn't matter... The problem is that while yes a larger piece of bait selectively chooses out the larger fish, the larger fish may want a smaller bait... And yes a 20 lber will hit the same bait as a 5lber...

Just thinking about it... my PB channel (13+) hit the same size bait i was tossing and catching 1-3lbers with the whole night

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I couldn't agree more!!--------pk powell:smile2:

7. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    As the people above have said yes and no. A big bait will more likely catch a big fish but probably be less likely to catch a fish over all. While a small bait may have a better chance of catching a fish, and maybe a smaller fish, a large fish can and will eat small baits.

Here are some examples from my experience. My first really "big" fish that I ever saw caught, was a 22# flathead caught on a minnow. My friends dad took us crappie fishing and he hooked the flathead within a few minutes of us pulling up to the stumps. You can imigine the size of a crappie minnow compared to the mouth of a 22# flattie. Then 2 winter's ago we had a guide take us blue catting during the winter. He was using shad as our general bait, but had 10-14 inch carp and buffalo on the 2 largest rods. We caught many many fish 1-10#s on the shad and a 15#er on a 12 inch carp. We had a few other fish that probably would have gone 15-20ish on the carp as well, but got off on the way in. And last, my personal best a 32.5# blue(my avatar pic) was caught on a shad that was probably 4 inches.

8. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I throw a varied size of bait when I am fishing for big blues, just to get a feel for what they want! I have caught nice fish on small baits and I have caught small fish on big baits, so big you wonder how they got it in there mouth! My opinion is....it depends on the mood of the fish whether or not they are hungrey or not!

9. ST Lunker

ST Lunker New Member

State:
    VA
    Thanks everyone! I think on my next adventure I will put two poles with big baits in rod holders to wait for the big one and then hold a pole with a smaller bait to catch the smaller ones. I've been catching 1-5 lb blues every 15 minutes the past 5 trips, but nothing huge has hit. It might also be too hot for those big boys!

10. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I use 2 to 3 inch whole gizzard shad and catch eating size a big size blues both. Good luck.

11. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    same here brother we must be fishing the same way. lol good luck fish on

12. langstaff

langstaff New Member

State:
    tennessee
    The bigger the bait ,The bigger the fish. Smaller fish will overlook the big baits.

13. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    My dad and i have had this discussion for years. And when I say discussion, I really mean argument, but only a freindly term. I have always been taught by my grandfather that bigger hooks/baits meant greater possibility for bigger fish. My dad always says my hooks are too big, my bait is too big, I use too much bait, and I don't catch as many fish as him.

But, the fish I do catch....... Well, one of mine is the equivallent of three or four of his.:big_smile: He calls it luck, and to a certain point, I would have to agree.

14. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    some time my brother caught a 30 lb yellow cat on a little bettle spi n once