Size I should Purchase

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Ravensmavsfan, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
  2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use 0/6 thru 0/8 Gamakatsu Octopus Circles, depending on bait size.

3. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
  4. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    John you might want to start with 5/0 and go up to 8/0 depending on the size of bait your using. If you want to stay with owner hooks I would recommend model numbers 5111 and 5311. They are expensive, but good hooks. Hope this helps you out.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I usually use from 2/0 - 10/0 Khales and 'J''s. I match my hook to the size of my bait. Never tried circles yet, I like setting the hook myself...:smile2:

6. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I never used bass pro shop circles. I have used Eagle Claw Lazer Sharps and Gamakatsu's. I fish anywhere from 3/0 to 8/0 depending what I am using. 3/0 works good for those dinky little shad and for cut bait, 8/0 seems to be wonderful as well.

7. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    As a follow-up to the original question, when rigging the bait, how much, and which parts of the hook do you leave exposed?

-- Rich

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    You might want to try these hooks out instead.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_8066_100010002_100000000_100010000_100-10-2

The reason why I say that is because you can get them in a bigger size. When you start using cut carp for bait you tend to want a bigger hook then a 2/0. You want that hook point exposed so you can get good hook penetration.

To answer rich-online question. You want the business end of the hook exposed. You want that point clear and free of any obstruction. Such as a scale or any debris.

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    8/0 circle is the one i would use

10. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    I would have to recommend using 8/0-10/0 circles if I were gonna use circle hooks. I prefer King Kahle hooks myself. rspd507

11. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    John, you haven't said what you are fishing for. With the size bait you mentioned you could be going for could be channels (I suspect with the use of chicken liver) or big blues (you are in a good area for that).

For channel cats up to 3-8 lbs, I recommend the Gamakatsu (brand matters with these hooks) 6/0 octopus circle with offset. For channels 5-15lbs I recommend 8/0 Gamakatsu.

If you want to "set" the hook, 10/0 King Kahles are good, Gamakatsu 10/0 Octopus are good.

Good luck and welcome to the BOC.

Shawn

12. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    Shawn has the right idea. Couldn't have said it better. Circle hooks the lazy mans hook.... I use 8-10/0.

13. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    baiting up 2-3" inch thick/3-4 inch long pieces of cut carp,
    John Bait that size, 8/0 or bigger. What type and size rod and reel are you using.

14. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    20 lb test open face reel, 7 foot rod, thank's for all the responses, i just wanted to know which one i should order off the link cuz i don't know how the number size of the hooks correlate to the actual size, usually i just go to the store and see the size i want and buy it, not really paying attention to the labled size.

15. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
  16. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If you are still confused about what size you'll get for what you order. Get ahold of Catfish Connection and order their catalog for 2 bucks. Every hook they sell has an "actuall size" picture of the hook on the page. Don't be shy about bigger hooks just cause you haven't used them yet. I can catch squealer channels on 10/0 gammakatsu octopus hooks. The smallest gammas I use for channels is an 8/0. I personally don't use circles just the J-hooks. But Gamma makes both kinds, plus kahle hooks. The main reason I use Gamma hooks is they are super strong (won't straighten easily) and second they come out of the package sharp enough to go thru bone lol.