Size estimation

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by smitty1963, Jul 26, 2008.

1. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was wondering if there was anyway to estimate a fish's weight by its length? I caught this blue cat this morning at 3AM this morning,
    I dont have a scale yet but I do have a tape measure. He gave me one heck of a fight:smile2:

Attached Files:

2. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    For me I really haven't caught a "big" fish and the largest I've seen anybody catch was 10 lbs, they weighed it. These 3 pics are my largest to date and they all seemed about the same size. I measured 24" on one, the first one in the grass. It couldn't have been more than 4-5 lbs if that. The second one had a fat belly but that was about it. The 3rd the channel gave me a fight to some degree but I was rushing to reel it in because a boat was heading toward the dock and I would have been in the way. So I really just pulled it in, it had no say in the "fight".
    As far as fishing at 3 am, I was getting ready to leave the house this morning at 3 am.....I would have stayed home if I knew I was going to get skunked....
    O well I still have tomorrow....
    later
    good luck
    david

Attached Files:

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Do a google search on "fish weight calculator. There are several you will find. Plug in specie, length, and girth. hit enter and presto, a darn good guesstimate. I take a piece of fishing line and measure the girth. I have done it several times in the past when I had scales that only went to 60 :smile2:

4. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thank you for the the information sir:smile2::smile2::smile2:

5. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Forgot to mention that it was 28inches long

6. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    ive heard that a 36" cat is around 20lbs. so 28 is prob around 12-14? just a guess

7. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    What part of Virginia are you in Sir??

8. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
  9. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I'd say 10 plus or minus a pound.

10. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sir I accept your generous offer of the scale, please let me know if you need me to send you some cash to help out with any shipping charges.

11. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I tried to send you my address but i think your private message box is full, please let me know if you recieved it