Size does it matter?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Duane, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Duane

Duane New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Okay guys here goes get yall thinking when I didnt have a boat I would say man when I get one I will catch fish everywhere then I got a big one when my father passed well I traveled alot and didnt catch fish .Ten years later I got a 14 foot jon and an 8hp nissan I catch more fish than ever why because all those places people pass up in there nice rigs I fish yep why travel far when there is fish close by .yep that small boat taught me to fish in places I never would if I had a big boat .think about it ! Does Size matter yep I learned how to use mine to my advantage

2. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    i would have to agree. i've got buddies with bigger boats and they run,run,run, and fish. i got a 15' jon with a 25 jonhson and i dont go far at all to fish. at the most 1 mile. i catch just as many fish as they do. go figure!

3. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    Well put. My motto has always been to think of the nastiest, hardest to get to spot...thats where the fish are hiding.

4. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Along the same lines, if you can find a pond that can't be seen from a road it will hold some dandy fish.

ST

5. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I think a lot of the run run run, is also because people with bigger boats like the speed and love to drive them. I like driving the boat as much as I love fishing.

6. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Duane, yer right Bro ! I fish in spots that the big boys can only try to cast too. Ain't no way they can get that big boat up in there.

7. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    this is exactly why i've never seen "bass boats" as an ideal. "sport fishing" would be a much more appropriate name. If I had my pick I'd be in the widest 18' flatbottom or shallow-V I could find, with a light outboard and a heavy trolling motor setup.

But getting those 'personalized' setups take alot of cash, which I don't have.

8. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'll go against the flow here because when the wind picks up and you have to quarter into the waves to get back to the ramp, it's REAL easy to wish you had a bigger boat.

9. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    well i have to disagree with the comment that bass boats cant go in i can take my 18 tracker bass boat in lots of nasty places with no issues and still be in comfort. can i take my new ranger in well why on earth would i want to i have no inclination of scratching or dinging my boat up to go into some back water spot to get a fish. a lot has to do with how shallow the boat will go ive been in skinnier water then some of the little boats can get with my tracker and its all due to how it sits in the water. for most people who fish for cats only a jon boat is fine for me nope.

10. captain5214

captain5214 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    14ft, 5ft wide flat bottom,with tunnel hull and jack plated 30 mariner...here, when i grow up id like to get a 14ft, 5ft wide, flat bottom, with tunnel hull and jack plated 30 mariner, that dont leak. just kidding....my boat suits my needs for where and what kind of fishing and hunting i do, 95 per cent of the time. i had a bass boat in the past, but i did more riding in it then fishing, and i had to bass fish only in it.....i wounldnt bream or cat fishing in it! what id like is a bay boat...center console, good electronics and 4 stroke motor to fish out in vermillion bay, but still keep my 14 ft for the marsh.

11. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    why would you have to bass fish only in a bass boat i have down riggers in my tracker all kinds of nice goodies.fish for cats bass trout salmon stripers etc in my tracker. my ranger i will be using only for my tourny fishing.

12. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Now I have a 15.5 ft semi v jon and I used to catch more fish in a 10 ft jon. ;) ;)

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Don't know, guess it depends upon the woman. LOL

14. Duane

Duane New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Okay here my theory the bigger boat you have the more you travel to locate fish the smaller boat you have you stay closer to the landing but you really try to locate fish not just hop around from place to place

15. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Fellow BOC ers it's not what size you have, but how you use it that matters.
    LMAO Andy

16. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    1sporticus, i couldnt have put it any better.

17. Duane

Duane New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Sporticus I disagree my friend ,I been some places where mine was just too small a craft to venture into .Unknown teritory you could tell many had been there .But mine would not be one of them I had to load up and relaunch somewhere else .Now granted mine is about average for around here but the holes where to far apart and tooo deep if you got in trouble you probably would need help to get out and me being a one man show I did not want to ask for help or launch with another .That being said I respect you as you have learned how to handle all unknown territory .Remember when in doubt bring you rain coat you never know what you will come home with ...........catfishing

18. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Amen brother Amen. Andy