size and weight deceving

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by slikk03, May 3, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i got a 6 pounder last night, im starting to notice bigger fish wegh less than smaller ones half the time, my frend got a 7 pounder it was twice the size,what causes this, also males tend to be bigger but wegh alot less, so, why go by weght, istead of size

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    yes

3. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    huh?

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Check your scale.........:wink:

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Not sure about that....Most of my bigger fish weigh "MORE"...... Than my smaller fish....LOL:smile2:

6. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    I think you are talking about length of the fish? If so, especially this time of the year and just before the the spawn, females can carry an exponential amount of weight in their egg sacks. Depending on the length and age of the fish in certain bodies of water this can be an excess weight of 20 lbs. or more. Another factor is the quality of water and habitat from which the fish is caught. An infertile lake with a low baitfish population density is going to yield older and longer fish that weigh less than say a fertile river with a heavy shad, herring, or sunfish density. There are a lot of factors that contribute to this beyond what is mentioned here, but there are a couple of answers for you. P.S. There is a fairly accurate formula for determining weight from measurements alone, all of which include the girth of the fish. You may be able to find in an in-fisherman book or check the online resources and how-to section on this site. GOOD LUCK andGOOD FISHING!:big_smile:

7. skeezaveli

skeezaveli New Member

State:
    illinois
    i second the last post....because i can foo!!!!:big_smile:

8. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    :0a27:

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
  10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    this blows me away????? I have never caught a big fish that weighed less than a smaller fish.

a big fish is bigger because it weighs more,