Six weeks and no luck... Altamaha River

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by bugg, Sep 14, 2009.

1. bugg

bugg Active Member

State:
    Georgia
    I've been fishing for flatheads on the Altamaha River every weekend for the past six weeks and get plenty of bites... but I haven't hooked a flathead yet... anybody catching any flatheads and if so how?

2. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Seems like they would have to get hungry some time :big_smile:

3. bugg

bugg Active Member

State:
    Georgia
    It's about to get frustrating... I bought a new pontoon boat about six weeks ago... I have been trying to equip it as a fishing boat... I am just about there... I'm going tomorrow afternoon and fishing into the evening... Tomorrow just might be my day...
    Wish me luck...

bugg

4. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    Wow that is a lot of effort. I go down every year and usually get my butt handed to me but the current is what I hate to fight. I assume you are fishing the deepest holes you can find that have some kind of submerged cover. Are you using live bream or big shiners? During the day they like to burrow right in the thick stuff.

5. bugg

bugg Active Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have been using live bait, big shiners, big goldfish, and various sizes bluegill. I have been looking for deep holes with structure, bridge pilings, wood structure and swift water with wood structure such as root balls, stomps, wood trash, etc. I am getting good bites. I'm just having trouble hooking up... I'm not new at fishing but this is my first go at catching flatheads with a real and rod.
    I have been doing all of my fishing during the daytime, however this weekend I'm going to fish at night. Hopefully this will improve my luck. Will see what happens.
    bugg
    :confused2:

6. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    I sure hope your luck changes. I grew up catching flatties but that river is really tough to fish. Be back down for 3 weeks in Feb. probably launch out of Altamaha Park. Maybe see you down there brown G3 with yammy jet.

7. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Welcome to the BOC Bugg. There's no doubt flatheads like live bait, but flatheads will take a fresh cut bait as well. A big bream head or a whole cut bream could be worth a try. What kind of hooks are you usin'?

8. bugg

bugg Active Member

State:
    Georgia
    I'm using 8/0 Kahle hook Eagle Claw ... I have about decided that the bites I'm getting are from Gar Fish... I get a little short pull and stop, then another short pull and stop, etc. etc. I can feel the fish but when I go to set the hook nothing... very frustrating...

9. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Could be gar. The only other thing I could suggest is to give the fish a little longer before you try and set the hook. Hope you have better luck this weekend.

10. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Bill, how is that pontoon boat treating you in low water conditions on the Altamaha?

I have wanted to get one for years, but never pulled the trigger on one.

Any issues getting around on the river?

11. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    you might want to try a circle hook .....if its a cat it will hook itself most of the tlme.....:0a26:

12. bugg

bugg Active Member

State:
    Georgia
    Paul... this is my first pontoon boat. It is a 20 x 8, powered by a 90 horse Yamaha two stroke. I absolutely love it as a fishing platform. As you know the river has been very low for the past ten weeks... My cabin is located at Carter's Bight north of you just passed Lane's Bridge in Appling County. When the river level at Doctortown gets 2 1/2 ft. it definitely restricts my going up or down river very far. However it restricts everybody else also... I'm guessing it has about a 10 to 12 inch draw...

bugg:big_smile:

13. bugg

bugg Active Member

State:
    Georgia
    Katman... Thanks for the suggestion... I have some large circle hooks and did fish with them some but really didn't give them a good chance... I have a tendency to want to set that hook when a fish bites... it's hard to break old habits... I think I will give them another try and thank you for your help

14. bugg

bugg Active Member

State:
    Georgia
    I'm embarrassed to say I still haven't caught a big Flathead catfish. I fished the river as it was rising, I fished it while it was full, I fished it falling, and I fished it both day and night. But still no luck... I've got to be doing something wrong.

I'm also getting a little discouraged... I think my next move would be to hire a good guide or find someone who consistently catches big Flathead's. I'm definitely doing something wrong I'm the most unlucky Flathead fishermen around....LOL

The good thing is that I have the pontoon boat converted to a fairly good fishing platform. I found a good source of live bait. And I think I'm using the right size and kind of tackle. I've got about three more weekends to fish before the end of the year. Maybe something will happen soon....

I think I will concentrate on fishing at night using a little smaller bait and maybe some cut bait. :confused2:

15. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    hang in there ...dont give up.....as far as the circle hooks go ,i have the same problem ...think im going to try a stiffer rod to delete those reel lite pull downs....:big_smile:

16. festus

festus New Member

Those are pretty good hooks, I've both them and circle hooks with about the same success. I use the Kahle for live bait, and the circles for cut bait. Don't know how I got into that habit, but it works for me.

17. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I still say that circle hooks have no place in big flathead fishing,but that's just me.
    Don't feel alone there. Many times I have been skunked,after throwing anything and everything to any potential spot fish might hide,with no results. But sooner or later you will find a big fish. Flatheading can require alot of patience sometimes,I've had nights where I went out and caught fish real well with almost nonstop action,but that is far, far away from the normal way things work,which might be many hrs of sitting for one bite or maybe even none.It can get real frustrating sometimes,but then that big one piles into your bait and your hooked all over again.It's my opinion those big old flatties gotta be earned with bordom,sweat,bug bites, and sometimes some good old fashioned cussing at them.

18. bugg

bugg Active Member

State:
    Georgia
    Fishing for big catfish with a rod and reel has been a great learning experience. It can be very boring when they're not biting and as exciting as fishing can get when you see your rod bent double or hear that clicker singing. I have lost several state records while fishing for big flatheads.:wink:

Now that it's turning cold and it's dark before you can turn around I've started gearing up to go fishing at night . I have been interested in the other thread on night fishing and started doing research on the subject. December is a busy month but I still have a chance to put a 30 pounder in the boat before the end of year. I really appreciate all the information and maybe it's going to happen soon. I haven't given up and I'm getting my second wind on night fishing...

19. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Sounds like they don't want live bait. I'd try big, cut gizzard shad w/garlic oil in the holes during the middle of the day.

20. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    i know the last few times i went here on the hooch the flats will start to swallow then take off and when the line tightens up the either pull the bait off or let go before to hook gets in their mouth. bait will be scaled. i'm going monday and try a two hook rig one in the bait nostril and the other in the dorsel. caint hurt. i have got a lot of good runs but their not getting hooked also gonna change from circles to j's and kales. something gotta give. fishing the summer i have no problem with the circles. i have a 18ft toon and i love it dont take much to anchor in swift waterand i cant sit still long so i can walk around. took all my seats out for more room to get to rods. sweet fishing machine! good luck keep trying different methods thats what i do!