SIRI: Sirus Radio?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catfish_Commando, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Does anyone have a Sirus Radio, and what is your thoughts on it?

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Don't have sirius but I do have XM Radio and I love it! Only difference might be getting Howard Stern on Sirius.

3. I knew I would be able to put in a good thread eventually. Never thought it would be about satellite radio.

Here goes. I have had a Sirius radio for a little over a year now and I love it hands down. The only time I had troubel with it is when I moved here to California. I guess moving such a great distance had something to do with it. (2000 miles) When I bought it I opted for the lifetime subscription that never ever runs out and can be moved to another radio if that one ever breaks or goes bad for some reason. The bad thing about lifetime is the cost. With activtivation online (10$) and the cost of the subscription (499$) it all totaled out to be around $520. Quite pricy at first, but when you think long term it pays for itself after 3.5 years.

As far as I know any reciever that is under $100 will last as long as you take care of it properly. The internal reciever I have in my 2002 Grand Cherokee is a direct component of my Stereo and can never be exchanged into another radio unless it is of the same make and model that can accept the hardware. I had my radio professionally installed by Stereo West on 140th and Center and their work is worth every penny.

As far as Sirius goes compared to XM there is not much of a difference at all. I have listened to XM at Best Buy once in a while and their programming is nearly identical. I beleive the only difference is that XM provides more sports channels and maybe a few music channels I would never listen to.

Hardware also is basically identical in price and their recievers would suit just about anyones taste. The biggest difference between Sirius and XM is that XM is marketing 2 completely stand-alone, handheld recievers for about $400 at Best Buy at the most. If they come down to about $200 I may think about getting one for those fishing trips. That may be a long wait though.

Having Sirius has just about stolen me away from FM radio. LIving out here in California there is only one good rock/alternative station that is worth talking about, and they don't always play good music. When that happens its as easy as pushing one button and I am over to my sirius. When I want music I want it right away and without commercials. And thats exactly what I get all the time, every day. Now that I have one and constantly listen to it I am trying to save up to get another one.

Also as a final note, if you have a Sirius subscription you can listen to it on your computer over the internet. Its a sweet setup when you dont want to miss some talk shows or great music.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I Also have 2 of the XM's and this is just hearsay. but I did here on TV a few weeks ago that Sirius may be going under?
    That there was a different company looking at them. But they may have been wrong.
    Pete

5. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I've heard that Sirus is a lot better than XM.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Paul, Sirius is the way to go brother.

I have had Sirius for over a year now. I drive so much for work that is makes a ton of difference. Sirius has NFL, Howard Stern, Bubba the Love Sponge, Ferrell, Martha, Nascar in 07, and Playboy, man it is definatly awesome.

There are a ton of channels, and not changing them is the great thing about it. You can drive 1000 miles and listen to the same channels.

I researched both heavily before I bought on in 04. Sirius is smaller but gaining on XM every quarter. XM is struggling right now and laying off a ton of workers.

They say Sirius is going through the Howard Stern effect, more and more members sign up every week and switch from XM to Sirius.

If you have a Sirius subscription you can also listen to it free online. XM chargers you and also has charges for specific channels. Sirius is all one price.

If you want any specifics just hollar. I listen to it every day!!

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    yeah sirius kicks butt get it

8. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Not to disrespect ya Tea buddy but I have XM and it don't charge extra for certain channels and it's also free online with a subscription to their service as well.

9. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    I to have heard it out preforms XM but it is like everything else its all in what YOU want in the deal.

10. countrygirl0569

countrygirl0569 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    yeah, I've got it
    It does all right, but there are still a few glitches
    a lot of the time it'll "cut in and out" with satelite reception problems, like if you go over a bump or somethin
    but just give it a smack and it'll work again lol

11. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just got a vehicle with a CD player.

12. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    ya talking about the radio or ya boyfriend????lol

13. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Got it and love it. Howard is the main reason I listen to it.

14. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I just have a walkman with AM/FM/ features, does that count?:tounge_out:

15. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I've got XM and am very very pleased with it.

16. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Could be the case Johnny now, I know when I got mine it was extra for one of the comedy channels. Opie and Antohny I think, and online was another couple dollars. They could of changed those since Sirius went online last month.

17. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I've had Sirius for almost two months and have nothing but good things to say. My only regret is not having done it sooner. FM is useless anymore. When I got mine, I didn't research either, I went with Sirius because of Stern alone.

18. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Who needs him...?

19. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Have Both, XM in My Truck & Sirius In My Boat. I Have Nothing But Good To Say About Either One Of Them.

I Usually Listen To Outlaw Country On Sirius & Willie's Place On XM. The Only Time That I Have Any Reception Fade, Is If I Go Under A Low Bridge In My Boat.

20. countrygirl0569

countrygirl0569 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    haha, the radio lol