Sioux City Area Catfishing

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by chrisdizz22, May 20, 2008.

1. chrisdizz22

chrisdizz22 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I haven't been fishing much since i was a kid, and am starting to get back into it, Ive been out on the Missouri about three times this year and twice out on the big Sioux, and have had absolutely no luck what so ever, a couple of bites, but thats it. ive tried gulp blood plastic bait, red belly wounded baby shad, stink bait, worms. i don't know what im doing wrong, but i just cant seem to catch anything, if i finally do catch one its gonna be worth about $75lb. does anyone one this forum fish this area with any luck. or can point me in the right direction to catch a few fish. I want to take my 13 yr old bro out fishing because his dad, got a new job and travels constantly. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Chris

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    EVERYTHING YOU MENTIONED FOR BAIT BESIDES NIGHTCRAWLERS WILL WORK BETTER IN THE WARMER MONTHS, I WOULD TRY TO FIND A BAITSHOP THAT SELLS FROZEN SHAD OR GET A CASTNET AND GET THEM YOURSELF, YOU CAN FIND THEM IN THE SLACKWATER IN ALL PARTS OF THE RIVER.

AS FAR AS THE SPOTS YOU FISH, IF YOU THROW A SHAD IN A RIVER ANYWHERE YOU SHOULD GET A BITE, THERE ARE OTHER FISH TO TRY ASWELL SUCH AS CHUBS, SHINERS, SKIPJACK, BLUEGILL, AND ALL CAN BE FISHED ALIVE OR AS CUTBAIT, IF ALL ELSE FAILS THERE IS ALWAYS SHRIMP YOU BUY FROM THE STORE, ALL ARE GREAT BAITS AS THE SEASON GETS STARTED.

GOOD LUCK

3. QUAKERMAN

QUAKERMAN New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I like to use bait shrimp early in the season. Shrimp works well year round, I also have heard of people usin more stink baits early on in the season too. Dont know if that is more because of popularity of stink or if it actually works.

4. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    stinky bait is affective year round but I believe it is more of a warmer month bait due to the faster decay of dead fish in the heat, it is rare for the catfish to find a fresh fish in late JUNE or AUGUST so they will settle for stinky faster. This is just my observation and personal opinion, not fact "YET" LOL!!

5. chrisdizz22

chrisdizz22 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    thanks for the replys, think ill go look for a net and try to wrangle up some shad

6. chrisdizz22

chrisdizz22 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    well went out to find a throw net tonight, went to two diff walmarts and sold out at both of them. then went to get worms there and sold out again, so i grabbed some headless uncooked shrimp and thew in under the BN missouri river bridge fished about half an hour till sun went down, with no success. Im starting to think that the bait might not be the problem, i must be doing something wrong. I remember catching alot of fish when i was a kid, and now the only fish i caught this year has been a trout at beacon creek while fishing for crappie. and it was one the very first cast of the season.