Sinkers ?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Moswaprat, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Moswaprat

Moswaprat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What kind of sinkers do you use for the mississippi? Im using a 3oz egg sinker but it dont matter where i cast it it goes where the current takes it. Most of the time its straight behind the boat.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You need a flat sinker as a no-roll or a no-snag sinker, possibly even a claw sinker. I am wondering if 3 ounces is enough for that river at any rate. You have to increase/decrease your weight according to the current, your bait, your line, and bunches of other factors. You just keep adding weight until it holds where you want it to. lOL

3. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    If you want your bait to stay in place, egg sinkers aren't for you. lol. They roll w/ the current very easily. Try like a pyraimd sinker or bank sinker, or the "no-roll" sinkers.

4. Moswaprat

Moswaprat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thats what i was thanking. Do yall make your own? I was thankin bout buying the pot and molds to do that cause i can get 5 gal buckets of wheel weights to melt down. Would i be money ahead to do this? And what molds should I buy. I fish the Mississippi and a few lake in the area.

David

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    David, here is a link to the various types of sinkers. You just need to find the styles you would want to fish, depending upon their function. All the molds are less than $40.00, but if you shop around at flea markets, ebay, etc, you can get them cheaper.

http://www.do-itmolds.com/category2.aspx?c=10

6. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Mo,

I have all three of the "no roll", and the 1/8-1/4 egg molds....I think that prepares me for just about any fishing situation....That gives me no rolls from 1-8ozs and eggs for float fishing or ultralite bottom fishing.....Jus my opinion....Dwight

7. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I use bank sinkers all the time on the Arkansas river 3-8 oz. size. The egg sinkers roll to much for river fishing. I pour my sinkers all the time and enjoy it. do-it molds is what I use.

8. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    David.. Come to the Illinois Gathering June 23rd at Pere Marquette campground.. We will be making an assortment of sinkers and you can pick some up to try the different types before you buy the molds.. And the price is right too. Free to all BOC brothers.. Also with the river rolling like it is now, 12 oz of weight won't hold.. Once they close the gates and it gets back to normal flow I usually use 5 to 6 oz of weight on the Mississippi.. Hope this helps..

9. Moswaprat

Moswaprat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Where is that campground at from Cape. Im about 2 hours south of Cape but dont mind a trip with the wife and kids.

10. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
  11. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    David.. Take 55 North to 255.. Then go to Rte 143, that will take you to Alton.. From Alton take the river road North thru Grafton about 7 miles to Pere Marquette.. Do a Mapquest from your place to Pere Marquette.. Hope to see you there..