Sinkers

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by TennesseeJugger, Sep 29, 2009.

1. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Thought I would share this with you BOC brothers, fishing for cats below dams or steam plants you tend to loose alot of sinkers and if you use 3 to 5 ounce then they can get costley to keep replacing. I went to Bass Pro and purchased a melting pot and a sinker mold that will make 2,3,4, & 5 ounce bank sinkers. I went to a tire store that a friend of mine owns and he gave me a five gallon bucket of used lead wieghts that are used for tire balancing. I melt those down pour into my mold and Wah-Lah, bank sinkers. Very easy to do and a big money saver!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    A lot of us pour our own sinkers Don and we get our lead from various places. We also usually once a year here in arkansas have a sinker making gathering where we get together and make sinkers for one day. But you can bet there will be some fishing going on too.

We also have a special place for discussing lead pouring. Check out the site below.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=456

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah I got to invest in a mold and a pot..I got like 40 lbs of lead weights that I used to use for diving..Wonder if that'll work...

4. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Yes they will, lead actually melts relatively easy.

5. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Thanks for the 411 Kevin.

6. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    yes lead melts easily ... when I started out melting lead as a teenager I would just use a coffee can and an open campfire. Worked pretty good as long as ya weren't melting too much lead at a time.

Now when I melt lead I melt quite a bit at a time so I use a 5qt dutch oven and a home made fish cooker/burner. The dutch oven holds about 100lbs of lead and with the propane burner it doesn't take all that long to melt it down.

I don't care for the electric melting pots cause they won't melt down very much at a time and if you pour a lot you have to keep adding lead and when ya do then it cools down the lead that is already in the pot and you have to wait all over again for it to melt back down and get to a good pouring temperature.

7. festus

festus New Member

Yes, I need to get some sinker molds and the rest of the setup. Would a Coleman propane stove be ok to melt lead on? I also have a one of those burners you deep fry turkey on. Which is best?

It's hard to find sinkers around here over 2 oz. I also need to get a mold to make striper jigs from 1/2 oz. up to 2 oz.

8. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    either one of those should work ok for you.

9. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Festus I was thinking what I did awhile back to make a sinker mold so here goes....no photos
    I took a piece of 3/4 ply wood and drew the size sinker I wanted to make and then I used a circle saw [skill saw] to cut the lines I wanted to put my wires in if you want holes in the center[cloth hangers work just fine]and then I used some pam spray to lube the wires and cut them to put in the lines I had made with the saw.Then I used a router to make the holes that I drew for the sinkers.They work just fine and no real expense except the wood and then I went to the goodwill store and found me a small pot to melt the led in and poured it into the place I routered for my sinkers.The fish dont know the difference and no one else really cares

hopes this helps

10. dthrasher

dthrasher New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for all the info.

11. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I have a 15 to 20 year old Lyman Mag 20 melting furnace. I've never had a problem with it. I see that the price of Mag 20 has more than doubled since I bought this one. I doubt I'd buy one at current prices to make sinkers. I odered two Do-It siker molds for round flat & river sinkers. I'm going to make a bunch since the river I fish like to eat them.
    I used to use the furnace to cast lead pistol bullets for competition shooting.

12. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Great idea, Thanks!

13. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Really guy's if you are serious about it the Do-It-Molds are great and easy to use,and at about a 30 dollar average they won't break the bank if you buy say one or two molds a year for a couple years,get the size and design you use the most first and go from there. If you want sinkers over 1 ounce,forget the bottom pour pots as they pour too slow and you sinkers will look all wrinkled,I use a Coleman stove and a cast iron pot to melt in and a cast iron ladle to dip and pour the weights,simple and cheap! Plan to set aside the better part of a day in winter cause once you get going it's alot easier to keep going than putting stuff away and getting it back out and warmed up again. With a little practice you can make them as good as any store bought ones at a fraction of the price. The more you make the cheaper they get as the price of the mold is spread out.

14. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I have to disagree with the bottom pour pots. I got my molds this morning and fired up my Lyman 20# furnace to try one out. I made 100 round flat river simkers in 2 to 4 ounce and did get a couple wrinkled for the first couple molds but after that they were fine. Heck, they are sinkers, what does wrinkles matter? In the past, I made thousands of pistol bullets with this furnace and they are a lot pickier to pour than sinkers. I don't think the bottom pour is slow, the most time for me was removing the poured sinkers and putting in new brass eyes. It's not like I have to be in a speed contest to pour some. Anyway, I like the way the mold worked and I poured 100 sinkers. Gave me something to do for part of an afternoon.
    The brass eyes are a bit of a pain but not as bad as I thought they would be. I'm happy with the Do-It molds and surely can't complain about my 15-20 year Lyman 20# Mag 20 furnace. It still works as well as when it was new. I also bought Brownell Marvelux Lead Flux. It works great with little smoke and a lot less mess than using any wax. At about $9 for a 1/2 pound, it's not real cheap but also will not burst into flames and choke you to death like wax.

Attached Files:

15. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Those of you who use tire weights as the lead you melt u need to be careful as most of the time that lead is real dirty and contains a lot of other things other than lead. if you are melting in a pot pouring straight into the mold u need to make sure to keep skimming the top of your pot constantly to remove all of the impurities

16. CatRwalln

CatRwalln New Member

State:
    United States
    I use cotter pins for my weight eyes, no bending and twisting.

17. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    wrinkles = grip lol:wink:

18. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Larry. The river sinker works great with sinker slides and you can change weights with ease. I have that molds also.

19. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I like the do-all river sinker molds as well.Another tip you can buy 100 #2 brass eyes for around $3.00 or you can buy a pound for $10.00 and a pound has on average 640 pcs.I have the 2,3,and 4 mold and just purchased the 5,6 ounce one.
    Flootie had a great tip as well.I remember the first time I used tire weights in my lee bottom pour.I didn't make them into ingots , alot of wasted time cleaning the trash of the top.I made an ingot out of a peice of scrap aluminum and a 1 inch end mill.simple but makes two 14 oz. ingots at a time.I will post pics by the end of the week and pics of how I made a river sinker mold into a sliding mold.I milled a slot through the mold and use a peice of tig welding wire to form the line hole.I still like using the brass eyes with a slider better though.