Sinkers

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by bedbug jr, Jun 4, 2009.

1. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've never used over 3oz. for any situation, but I've seen people on here using 8oz and up. I fish a pretty fast current-6 to 8mph-and I figure more weight will get it down faster and hold it in the channel, which is something I have been unable to do with lighter weights. My question is how do you rig for heavier weights and do you use one chunk of lead or multiples?
    Stay safe and enjoy

Thanks

2. FISHSKINNER

FISHSKINNER Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Mike
    I rig all of my sinkers for river fishing with a three way swivel with about a 3 inch leader to the weight and a 14 to 16 inch leader to the hook.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You would generally rig for heavy weights the same you would for normal weights, and depending upon snags, rocks, etc, it wouldn't matter how many weights you used. The most important thing about using the heavy weights is your rod, reel and line have to be able to support these weights. Most rods will have it listed on the rod stock as to the type action, length, line capacity and lure (weight) capacity. If you got an ultra-light and your trying to cast 12 ounces, it just is not going to work. Generally for the heavy weights, you should have a surf rod instead of a bass pole.

4. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm using Catfish Safari flathead with an Abu 7000 Pro Rocket 30# Cat Master

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Larry that rod will handle some big sinkers bro you are coverd

6. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would buy some 5 and 6oz sinkers and try them. I would tie them on the same way you are now. I don't think you will have any problems with the equipment you have. Good luck.

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im new to the game myself, im used to flatheads in shallow waters, the altone dame is swift i can get 40 yards out tops

8. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    You can also use sinker slides instead of a three way. The sinker slides will allow you to change weights on your line without having to retie.. also, when the fish bites and starts to run they will not feel the weight as the main line will slip thru the slide.... if your using clickers or free spooling.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i use no rolls up to 8oz slid on the mainline with a swivel and leader and hook tied on the end. bigger than that and i use my flat bank sinkers on a homemade sinker slide with a ziptie through the eye of my sinker to clip it to the slide. there is a picture i put on the sinkerslide thread

10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I rig like Brandon or Kevin.Most of the time I use no-rolls in 3-8oz,s on a sliding rig with a 4 or 5 unch leader after the swivel.If I,m not sure how much weight I,ll need,I,ll switch over to the sinkerslides and clip on crescent trolling sinkers.Use single weights,never tried multiple weights.:big_smile:

11. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    The river I fish is generally 3 to 5 mph with a lot of up flows, and I usually fish 6 to 8 oz weights, depending on where in the channel I am fishing. I do also use multiple weights, usually two fours, if I'm behind a bridge pillar or some place where the current changes alot back and forth or forward and back. To me, or in my head anyways, it seems to keep me more in place with less drift. Same with 3 2-oz weights, which is what I have rigged up now.