Sinkers

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by DWB, Apr 5, 2009.

1. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know that most of you are flush with all the lead sinkers you might need from leadstock, but I was not around here then to attend and thus have been looking around town for some deals. I would like to make my own byb don't know where to get bulk lead from.

While searching I found this ad in our local craigslist
    http://stlouis.craigslist.org/spo/1106790045.html

Is this a good deal (for the ingots) 1$ per pound plus 12$ S&H for up to 65#? Should I look elsewhere? Somewhere local perhaps? I see there is a lead smelter in overland park, whould they sell me lead?

What are some of the best molds you have found. I know, there is probably something in the library about all this...I'll look...but there is nothing like local knowledge.

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Hit the tire shops Dan. There should be at least one willing to part with some lead. As for molds Do-it molds are the best I have found. Go to www.do-itmolds.com. Hope this helps.

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yep Dan, Bob is correct on the molds, there are many out there but d0-it seems to take the care and time to build long lasting solid molds.......

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Catfish Connection has Do-it molds cheaper than ordering direct. They are also fast on shipping.

5. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Don't buy ingots Dan, there is probably ingots leftover from leadstock. Get a hold of Cuz and see what he has left. If he's dry then if you can wait a few weeks I'm sure I can find some more lead to melt down.

6. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Dan, I missed leadstock myself.. I have flat bank molds and a lee pot.. I also have about 25 lbsw of lead if you want to get together one Saturday we can make up what I have and I'll split it with you.. Don't like seeing a brother without sinkers..

7. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Harold, mighty nice of you! Randy was also talking about getting together to make some sinkers. Do I smell a mini leadstock in the making? I've got ball game tickets this Saturday and then I'm in Washgington DC (or the pit of hell as I call it) for the next two weeks. By all means don't wait up on me, but if you do want to get together after that I'd be game for sure. I don't have much in the way of sinker making equipment to bring along but I'd sure be willing to supply the refreshments and manual labor.

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well I can hold off, what ya think Harry? wanna figure a place one Saturday? maybe your drive way, we can finish pouring up and anyone else that may have missed the 1st round, while your working on your boat also? I have probably close to 100 pounds right now, and sure I can get a few more in the next 2 weeks, up to you and Dan, but I can hold off until then, can bring the gas melter and pot, and a mold or two...

9. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds like a great plan.:roll_eyes: May 9th is the first Saturday I am back in town from "the pit of hell". I'm good for that day or any other thereafter. I might have a mold or two by then as well to help speed things up.

10. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Works for me.. I'm not in any hurry so whenever we have a sunny Saturday and everybody is free will work for me.. Looks like I won't need any sinkers till I can get the boat going anyway.. I miss fishing out of my own boat.. It's been 2 yrs now.. Anybody else wants to join us they are more than welcome.. We can even kick the grill over and burn something while we are at it..

11. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    sounds good to me too. I got a mold if dumplins didn't lose it.

12. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Hey Patrick, I'll take that steering cable and controls that you have for a mercury too.. Mine is too long for the boat and I really don't want to cut it to fit.. thanks

13. davefish1980

davefish1980 New Member

State:
    st.charles missouri
    Hey Dan I GOT LEAD YOU CAN HAVE. You can pick up DOT molds at the local pro shop.:smile2:

14. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Sounds good to me Harry, your gonna have to toss out some directions and I'm sure we can figure something to burn on the grill, I hit an old opossum last night on the way home, I bet it is still there, I'll go check in the morning :wink:

15. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    ohh boy possum innards.. We eating in style now.. Meals just like maw used to cook...
    Welcome to the BOC Dave.. Its a great place to relax and tell lies.. I mean learn stuff..
    Hey randy directions are easy, just turn right at the cottonwood tree and then left at murphs old barn that burned down in 63.. Its the first drive on the left, I mean right, well you'll find it sooner or later, just follow the fire trucks..

16. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    A plan is comming together! Sounds like fun.

17. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I'll start scrounging up some good clean lead.

18. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Ive still got lead left over from Lead Stock. Probably a couple hundred pounds anyway. I also have a 25 melting pot, and probably 7 or 8 different molds. If anyone ever needs to bang out some weights just catch me when I'm home, an come on by. Admission Fee is a 6 packer of good ol Bud light. I'lll break out the goose, and well make some sinks :wink:

19. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Randy, make a left at the big rock that looks like a bear, then make a right at the bear that looks like a rock.:wink:

20. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    By golly Tom, that's what I thought, but couldn't remember for sure if it was a rock or a stump! Thanks.... I just figured I could stop at A waffle house and anyone there could direct me to HarryOlds home :wink: