Sinkers? What size

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Bravesfan257, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Bravesfan257

Bravesfan257 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hoy Big and what type of sinkers does everybody use. I use a 1 1/2 ounce to a ounce egg sinker. Also is there a thing as to big of sinker.

2. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Matt, I like to use 3to 4 ounce pyramid sinkers for live bluegill fishing. It keeps them down where you put the weight but, allows for movement. I would say yes, there is a such thing as too much weight. If you're not running a slip rig fish can feel the extra weight on your line, this usually leads to a fish backing off of your bait. Also if your not careful and your fishing with some small diameter line you can snap it with a forceful cast. Try and match your weight to the amount of current you are fishing in or the size of the live bait. If you can keep your bait down I would use the minimum possible.

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    I usually use 1 to 1 1/2 oz fishing in lakes around here, but I'm getting ready to go on a trip to the James river in VA and was told that they use up to 8oz, depending on the currents. So guess it depends on the type of water that you fish - you gotta adapt to the conditions.

4. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    the size i use really depends on how much current im fishing in, how big is the live bait that im useing, and how far do i want to cast out. uselly fishing at the spillway ill use a 2 oz for light current for the stronger current ill use 4 and up to 8. if im useing small 3 inch shad ill use a 1/2 to 1 oz for bigger gills i might go u to 2 oz just to keep him stuck to the bottom. for casting long distances i like useing 4 oz. but i think if you can get away with lighter weight the better luck u will have

5. Ralph in MO

Ralph in MO New Member

For lake fishing (what I do most) I use a 1 1/2 oz. (or smaller) walking sinker on a carolina rig. I like the fact that I rarely get snagged and lose part of the rig.

Ralph

6. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    When I'm fishing live bait I use a 3oz pyromid sinker and for dip bait I use 1oz egg sinker.

7. G3Morton

G3Morton New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I used 2oz. egg sinkers last year on the Ohio when the river was down, and so it didn't have much current, and I wasn't using live bait. But I have been told I will need bigger when I fish the Ohio when the water is up and the current is stronger.

8. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    A good rule of thumb is you only want enough weight to hold it to the bottom. Thats it! These guys are giving you some good advice about telling you a fish can feel the weight. I use anything from 4 ounce up to 16 ounces depending on the current. Changing out sinkers sounds like alot of work hitting alot of different spots, it all depends on what type rig your running. If you use a sinker slide, or like me i use a three way heres a little secret to make that a whole lot faster. I have a bucket for weights, in that bucket are all my sinkers different weights with drops tied to them. On the end of the drop that attaches to the swivel i make a loop by just doubling the line and tying a knot. Run the loop through the swivel, drop the weight through and Walla weight on. To take it off, pull the loop out and pull the weight out of the loop. After you get the hang of it you'll be puttin on weights about as fast as you can pick up the rod.

9. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I have always just used a five ounce. I have a bank sinker mold that makes three fives at a time, so that is what I always use. I guess I could get a lot more tactical about it, but I have won over 50% of the tournaments that I have fished this way. It also takes all the thinking out of my rig and puts it into finding the fish. LOL Vern

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Since January, I have bought six different sinker molds, 120 pounds of lead, and two lead melters off of e-bay. I was just not satisfied with the sinkers I was using... When I fish the tailwaters of Kaw Dam, a 5 ounce sinker would beat the water down river. A 1 ounce egg sinker was not enough for the lake... I just wasn't happy. Now I have the mold to produce a 5 and 8 ounce claw sinker which should hold in the tailwaters, 1 to 5 ounce no-roll sinkers for less turbulent water and lakes... bank sinker molds from 1/2 ounce to 16 ounces. I have hopes that this year my sinker problem will be resolved. If not, there is always more molds.

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I use everything from bb sinkers with my ultralight rigs to 1 oz in lakes. One lake I fish, I find it best to use light sinkers, a float, and let the wind drift my bait into the slot holding the catfish. In some situations, current and wind can be your friend. Lighter weights can work well in those situations.

12. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fish the Mississippi River around here in alton and we use all the way up to 20 sometimes, usually on average I would say we use 8-12 ounces, but when the water gets up and the current gets whippin below the dam sometimes it takes up to 20 ounces and when you hook something it seems 5 times bigger than it is in the current, if you do hook a big one you better hope you have a quick detach and float on your anchor so you can drift after it in the strong current.

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The smallest sinker I use is 3-oz..I use them up to 8-oz..Last year I was fising in such current I had to use two 8-oz sinkers to hold bottom, most of mine are no roll sinkers.

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "Is there such thing as too much weight?"

The simple answer is, Yes.

Sinkers serve really serve one purpose, and that is to put the line on the bottom. From there the sinker can serve a secondary purpose of either holding the bait in place, i.e. anchored or bank fishing, or it can keep the bait in close proximity to the bottom in drifting or trolling.

Anytime you are throwing more weight than you need to do the job you are creatiing a chance of potential snag issues, and in some cases they can hinder your optimum casting performance. If you are set up with a sinker combo that does not allow for line slipping through the sinker, then you are relying on the fish to be able to move the weight before you can pick up a strike, though this can be good with cricle hooks becasue of the resistance created by the weight.

I am a lake fisherman, so I use anywhere from 1 1/2 ounce flexible "worm weights" to 3 ounce sinkers for anchoring. River fishermen with more current may have to move up in weight depending on what they are trying to do with their baits. Part of the fun and challenge of pursuing big cats is learning what works best for your particular situtation.

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I fish large live-baits with a sinker slide usually 4 or 5 oz to start. If its a 2 or 3lb bait I go up to 10oz. The current on bottom is no where near as strong as the surface. In a boat you can use less weight, from the bank you have to fight the cross current on your line and will have to up the weight.

16. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    For about 3 in. to 4in. bluegill about 3oz. 4in. to 5in. it takes mostly 4oz mabe 3oz. depending on how active the bluegill is, but you may need as much as 5oz. Big bluegill, and bullheads may need 6oz. Green sunfish are powerful for their size, they stay active so it might require more weight. I dont use a sliprig so I like the Pyramid weights. The flat no roll sinkers is a good bet for slip sinkers.