sinkers that stay put

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by C Hill, Jan 16, 2008.

1. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    whenever i river fish for channels on my smaller rods, my sinkers always either roll or float downstream. any ideas on sinkers that wont move once the hit bottom? i need them to be an ounce at most

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You need either the no-roll or no-snag sinker. Both are flat to offer a low silouette to the force of the current. The drag of the water against the line will still cause them to slide, so you need to go heavy enough to counter-act that force. Bank sinkers and possibly pyramid sinkers would still move with the current. Eggs are a definte No-No.

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Don't know what river you're fishing, but maybe the 1 ouncers aren't heavy enough.

4. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've used 5 ounce no rolls and at times they still move. A heavy pyramid is your best bet. Reel like crazy or use a lighter weight dropper line because they snag.

5. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Use no rolls just keep moving up in weight till you find the weight that works for you.:wink:

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    use norolls in heaver weight

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    even a heavy no roll will slide on a mud bottom at times if it does try to keep a little slack in your line so the sinker will lay flat a lot of times this will help instead of haviing the line tight,, i am working on a variation of a no roll to combat this problem that i will show off after i get the machine work done on the mold.. i will keep you posted..

8. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    No rolls work great for me. I would use different size weight than and ounce if you can't keep it to sit put some more weight on.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I may also point out that the bottom should help dictate more of what style sinker you use. Mud bottom - flat sinkers, pyramid sinkers, bank sinkers... gravel or hard clay, anything but a round sinkerand possibly even a claw sinker. One of the things you can do to reduce your sinker sliding on the bottom is go to a smaller diamerter line. You loose poundage, on the most part, but there is less resistance to the current also.

10. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    There is some good info here I think I can use Thanks.:wink:

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    If you are casting straight downstream then the shape of a sinker is no big deal, but if you are casting cross current (and from the bank you usually have no other choice) then you need a sinker whose shape is designed to grab the bottom and hold on. For that I mostly use pyramid sinkers. Even fishing from a boat, whenever I cast a rig accross the current, I will put on a pyramid sinker.

It is the force of the current pushing on the line that does most of the dragging - unitl it pulls your sinker and bait directly downstream of you - unless it finds a snag first, which usually happens.

No roll sinkers are better than egg or bank sinkers, but they will still be dragged by the line. Pyramids have sharp angles that bite into the bottom and hold on like a tiny anchor.

12. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    is it me or did a couple of posts disappear?

13. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I agree Mark, something happened!

14. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    :0a36:
    hey guys.... one of the mods mentioned that with the new server that was installed that "things would happen...." not really the words of "DH" but he did say it..... got to repost it and it will all come out in the "back current"

bayrunner ray

15. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    since my reply was lost i decided to post an article in the members article section. hope it helps

16. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    my bad its in outdoor articles.