Sinkers on the river?

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Bigballer, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Bigballer

Bigballer New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well just getting set up for next year. Will be the first time we ever try to go after the big boy’s. We have always went after them but never really went after them as much as we plan to this year. We got a new larger boat and now we want to fish the big holes were the big boy’s are. We used to set up close to the bank and then fish down river in usually 3-15’ of water. And we would fish from land at night a lot. This year we are planning on fishing at night but in the boat over some larger holes. What I am wandering is what size sinker do you guy’s use? I know fishing down river it’s not like the baits going to go to far but I don’t want the live bait swimming off a lot and giving us false strikes so to speak. So was just wondering what your guy’s is set ups were? We will be fishing the Wabash river so it’s semi swift waters. We will be setting up in probably 20-30’ holes as well. Any info would be appreciated. Like I said we will be new to this fishing. Mostly have everything set up just want to get some finishing touches taken care of. We will be using good Garcia reels with king cat poles with 40# solar green Berkley line. With circle hooks probably 8’s. But the sinkers are the one thing we aren’t exactly sure of.
    Thanks
    BB

2. Jetdoc

Jetdoc New Member

State:
    Mooresville Indiana
    I usually use 6 or 8 oz. on the Wabash.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Aaron Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. It sounds like you have got your rigging well thought out. I would agree with starting with 6-8oz sinkers. It all depends on the current.:0a23::0a23::0a25:

4. Bigballer

Bigballer New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well can't judge it by any other place cause never been to other places. But I would say current is pretty sharp. But I just didn't think I would need to use such a large sinker. I was thinking 3's would work. Cause I would be fishing straight down river. So the current wouldn't be pulling the sinker left or right but straight ahead. I was really only worried about my bait moving my sinker. I only use gills about 3-5 inch's long. So thought a 3 oz sinker would work. But if you guy's are telling me 6-8 then I'll have to be ordering me some. Just never thought I would need them that big.
    Thanks guy's
    BB

5. FATBOY DAN

FATBOY DAN New Member

State:
    West T= IN.
    :cool2: I fish the wabash river here in terre haute and theres a time and place for diff sinkers oz ,when useing live bait behine my boat i usely use a slip float rig 3-4 feet off the bottom when the rivers at a slow flow ,but if your wanting to hit the bottom then try useing 4oz no roll on a slip rig wich is the same i use on a 10 foot pole ,green 40lb catfish-stren line. Or try useing a 3 way rig is when i use a biger sinker. But if you in a a faster curnet then u may want to try useing 6-8 oz on a 3 way rig but ive only use that big oz sinker a few times on my baits, only in the water onder the train bridge wich is 60feet deep, but then again im no pro. :cool2: So try useing 3 poles each one rig up a little differnt. And see wich one works on ur water as my spot on the river may be slower,deeper,shallow water then ur spot.

6. justinvaughttattoos

justinvaughttattoos New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    i just recently started fishing deeper water from the bank.... i'm using 4 oz right now... really improved casting distance and also get a lot more bites since my bait is holding better in the current.... good luck!

7. hdfatboy29

hdfatboy29 New Member

State:
    indiana
    well on the wabash i,ve had good luck using 3-4 oz sinkers on a slider i,ve never had any problems there with rolling,on the white i use about the same only use a 4-6 in the strong current areas i fish . like the one gentleman said try 3 poles set up each a lil different you,ll find the way you like the one that fits you best. when in doubt use a brick tied to some c4 and you wont have to worry just scoop them up then hahahaa:wink:

8. nateD

nateD New Member

State:
    IN
    i have never fished the wabash, but i fish the ohio alot. 3oz is as small as i go, but it works in many situations when current is down. the more the current, more weight. i use sinker slides with either disk or bank sinkers. this way you can change your weight easy without re-tying anything.

9. mr.seaark77

mr.seaark77 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have never fished the wabash but i have fished alot of other rivers mostly the ohio river more current more weight i have fished as much as 16 to 18 oz's when the water is up and its flowing it also depends on the size of your bait if your fishing big bait in heavy current its going to take some lead to keep you on the bottom .

10. atvracer

atvracer Member

State:
    IN-47501
    I normally do not use anything over 3 ounces, but I usually don't fish very swift water. The heavier sinkers would definately work there.

By the way what part of Indiana are you from?

11. Bigballer

Bigballer New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm fishing South of Terre Haute in the Merom area. I've not been up north to Terre Haute yet and don't know how swift the water is up there but where I am wanting to fish is right around a bend that I think had pretty good current. 3 oz might be to light there. And I'm not using really big bait. At least not yet. If we start hitting some 20-40 pounders there we might go a little bigger on one rig. We will be fishing 6 poles. Will ask some of you are saying your using a slip system or something. What's that? We basically just fish with the sinker tied about 12-18 inchs away from the hook. Would like to see a picture of the set up you guy's are talking about. Might come in handy. Thanks again for all the help guy's and the info.
    BB

12. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
  13. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    The slip rig is very simple. It allows the fish to pick up the bait without immediately feeling the the weight as the line slides through the sinker slide. A swivel can be used as a sinker slide or you can just thread the line through the hole in the sinker. The bead or rubber tube protects the knot on the leader swivel from being chaffed by the sinker (slide).
    Hope this helps...W

Attached Files:

14. hdfatboy29

hdfatboy29 New Member

State:
    indiana
    hey winston glad to see you yes that,s the system i use when on the rivers . i wish wal mart would carry those sliders for us their hard to find around here. god bless and keep your line wet

15. mr.seaark77

mr.seaark77 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i order mine off the internet sometimes you can find them at bass pro in the salt water area .

16. Bigballer

Bigballer New Member

State:
    Indiana
    So do you guy's use a steel leader or do you just use a heavier line? Like I said willing and wanting to learn all the tricks.. :) Appreciate all the info guys.

BB

17. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Steel leaders are unecessary in catfishing although some guys do use them.
    Most use mono but there are three schools of thought on the strength of the leader.
    Some use a leader of slightly lower test than the main line so if they get snagged the leader will hopefully break first and you get all of the main line back.
    Some use a leader of the same test as the main line as they want no weak link. Yet others use a leader that is higher test than the main line to have a leader with extreme abrasion resistance.
    There is no right or wrong; all three have pro's and con's. And just to confuse you even more....Some don't use a leader at all!
    ...W

P.S. Put up an avatar picture so we know who we are talking to!!!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  18. Bigballer

Bigballer New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sorry about no pic I can only get on line here at work and don't have a picture on here... :) Besides most camera's break when they are aimed at me... :)

What I do is use line that is the same and use a swivel to attach my sinker too. So guess I don't really use a leader. But was just wondering what everyone does. I don't know how many snags will be in the holes we fish so I really don't know what I'm getting into since this will be the first time we have fished the holes. you never know I might get a new washing machine this summer..... The bash has to much trash in it.... LOL

19. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I dont use sinker slides I just use swivels and they are much cheaper and easier to find. I have never had a problem with them.

20. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    well well, look who they let on. lol welcome aboard Dan!