Sinkers for lead

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by slickback, Mar 23, 2006.

1. slickback

slickback New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Is there anyone in the KC area that would be willing to trade some weights for lead. Me and a coworker have acquired 100lbs plus of battery lead, but we don't have any molds. I was wondering if someone would want the lead for exchange of some sinkers (egg or bank)?

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I have a 1-5 oz egg and might be interested? what are you looking for sinkerwise and ammount for trade?

3. slickback

slickback New Member

State:
    Kansas
    We have three 63 lb deep cycle batteries that should easily produce 50lbs of lead each. If we got you the lead then we are wanting 30-40lbs of weights. and you can have the rest. Do you think that is fair or have another idea let me know. Is the mold you have the Do-It mold?

4. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Have you ever sucessfully got the lead out of batteries?

5. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Never tried batteries for lead, I've always heard that it isn't suitable for making sinkers. Let us know how it works out.

6. Individualist

Individualist New Member

State:
    Lansing, Kansas
    Lead is bad enough but using lead from trashed batteries is a huge health risk for humans not to mention aquatic life. It is impossible to take the acid out of the lead without reactor type equipment. The mixture has to be pressure heated to a specific points where the lead and the acid (along with other nasties) can be separated into different layers and then ported/recovered individually, effectively isolating and removing each element or chemical compound.

7. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I dont know if this would necessarily be true though. From what I have read and gathered, lead-acid batteries have electrodes made of lead, and then contain a (roughly) 37% concentrated solution of sulfuric acid. While it may produce some PbSO4 (lead sulfate) the lead electrode itself should be just fine. If there happened to be acid on the electrode, a simple base would do the trick, such as ammonia or (although not recommended) sodium hydroxide. The lead sulfate I dont believe would pose much more of a health risk than the actual elemental lead, and the oxide I dont believe is any more dangerous than either of them either. So that would mean that if you can pull the electrodes out of the batteries without getting your hands melted off by the sulfuric acid, then be my guest. Although I hold no responsibility for anything bad that happens. I hope this makes sense :) Im tired and may have butchered things a little.

8. Individualist

Individualist New Member

State:
    Lansing, Kansas
    I thought this might happen.

OK here it goes. A spent battery has two parts that are made of lead based compounds. The post and the plates (electrodes). The post will generally be intact but the plates will likely show some degradation meaning they are breaking down, pitted, porous and often crumble when touched. It is possible to neutralize some of the sulfuric acid out using a caustic but getting it all might be difficult due to the impregnation of the degraded material. This leads to the other point I mentioned. (nasties) These are a cocktail of lead-antimony, copper, tin, selenium, arsenic and "lead sulfates" (which has a health risk rating of 3 out of 3 CAS# 7446-14-2 and has about a 90% rating of most hazardous in toxicity and exposure) used to improve the strength of the plates in the battery. Some of these "nasties" accumulate in the body when absorbed, ingested or inhaled and remain in the body forever. Some of them are known carcinogens (cancer). I guess my point was to inform. I've been around this process before and once you get a wiff of it you'll know it ain't good. Lead is bad enough, lead from batteries is worse.

9. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I flunked science in high school , so ill just stay out of this one. Ill take some 4 ounce no roll sinkers when you guys get it all figured out though. JK :)

10. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    try a local tire store for lead wheel weights. lots safer and they are cheap to free. just my 2 cents. watch the smoke and fumes no matter what you chose to use.
    Bondman

11. Individualist

Individualist New Member

State:
    Lansing, Kansas
    That's what I do Bondman. They are free from a local tire shop and don't have near the slag as battery lead.

12. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    ok.. my 2 cents worth.. you can use the negative plates out of batteries but not the positive.. wash off negative plates with neutralizer then melt down into ingots.. the melting process and neutatrlizer will take care of sulfuric acid problem.. i work on industrial batteries every day.. Caution.. don't get caught dumping the acid out of batteries.. acid has to be put in container labeled and disposed of as hazardous waste.. so you're better off not messing with them in the 1st place unless you work in a battery shop..:crying:

13. slickback

slickback New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sounds like most of you don't think this is a good idea to try with Battery lead. Thanks for the advice, I was not aware of some of the issues you have talked about. i do have some other lead that could be used.