sinkers & current

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by unclebobo, Jan 29, 2008.

1. unclebobo

unclebobo New Member

State:
    missouri
    I was wondering what size sinkers some of you use in no current,medium current & heavy current

2. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    No current 1 oz., mild current 2 oz. and heavy current can be from 2oz up to 5 oz. The no roles work pretty good in high current.

3. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    In no current I'll use 1 oz. for cutbait or 2 oz. if I'm using a big live bait. In current I'll use mostly no roll sinkers up to 8 oz. depending on current speed and depth. I've read where people fishing the Mississippi River will use weights of 16 oz. or more sometimes.

4. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    anywhere from 3/4oz to 8oz pyramid sinkers or if its really running i'll use grip sinkers.

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Depends on what you mean by "heavy current". On the MO river in backwaters (no current) I'll use 3 oz because that's about the lightest I can go and still get decent distance on casts. Off the ends of wind dams I'll run about 8 oz and in the main channel where the current is humming along at 3.5 - 4 mph I'll run 16 oz bank sinkers so I can get them down to the bottom where I want them and make them stay. Lighter tends to get my bait either washed out of the deeper part of the hole or on the bottom way past where I wanted it in those types of situations. I like flat banks or no rolls up to 8 oz, but if I'm in the channel I like regular bank sinkers because they don't "plane" and drift back as far before hitting bottom.

6. flandersander

flandersander New Member

State:
    saskatchewan
    i just toss in live bait and let em go on their hooked leash

7. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Anywhere from 2 to 8oz. Depends on depth and angle. If you are bank fishing out in the current about the only thing that will hold sometimes is a pyramid style.

8. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Also your line has a factor. A bigger line will have more drag from the current.

9. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i posted an article on this in the outdoors articles section

10. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I have used as much as 18 oz in the Mississippi River using 80# Test line.

Lakes and smaller rivers I use from 2 to 5 oz

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i know no rolls plane bad in current being in line but flat banks do to??? i figured since they more than likely would be on a dropper or at least off the main line they would sink faster??? and cant you controll how far they drift back by stoping the spool. i would like to hear more because i plan on fishing the MO this year and was wanting to get a flat bank mold that made up to 14s to fish it .........

12. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Low current = 2 oz.
    Medium current = 4-5 oz.
    The place where i fish for blues has a very heavy current we make our own they are 13 oz.

13. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Out here fishing in the Ca. Delta the current in not to bad, and I do most of my fishing from the bank. With that being said this is what I like to do in any water that I fish:

"For lite to no current" - I go with anything from a "1oz. to a 2oz."

"For medium current" - I go with anything from a "3 oz. to a 4 oz."
    &
    "For heavy current" - I will go with anything from a "5 oz. to 8 oz."
    :0a26:

Take It Easy, :wink:
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"

14. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I use whatever weight it takes to hold my bait where I want it to stay which my be anywhere from 3/4oz up to 12oz depending on what size an type of bait I use that day and how strong the current is. I mostly use a padlock shaped sinker which seems to hold well in about any kind of current.

15. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    John what is a padlock shaped sinker, I've never heard of them before.

16. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Its a flat sinker shaped like a pointed padlock. Come to the sinker making at my son's house, we'll be making some of those along with almost any other kind and shape of sinkers. He lives near Columbus in Pataskala. Send a pm to Ramrod, he'll give you directions.

17. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    I use 8 oz like branden in the missouri river ,they are the best for heavy current ,the lakes i use my drifting sinkers even if i am not drifting ,the best rule is go with the smallest weight as possible .

18. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i have used up to 24 oz of weight to get on the bottom during flooding conditions.:crazy:

19. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    THis might sound crazy but what's a flat bank is that a type of sinker?

20. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Kevin, flat bank sinkers are just what the name implies - they have they eye molded into the top of the sinker like a regular bank sinker but are flattened in shape instead of rounded like a standard bank sinker.

KS, my flat bank mold only goes up to 8, so if you're running 14 oz ones I think they'd get down almost as quick as a regular bank sinker. You can control some of where it goes by thumbing the spool, but some of the heavy current spots I fish have really weird current patterns under the surface and I don't like letting my rig "swirl" around down on it's way down. The flat banks don't plane as bad as the no-rolls, but they don't sink quite as fast as a regular bank, in my experience. Good luck fishing the MO this summmer!