sinkers breaking as they hit the ground

Discussion in 'Sinker Making Institute' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I went out and found a tire shop today and i got a 5 gallon bucket full of lead for $10. took it home, fired up the turkey fryer, set a cast iron frying pan i found in my camping stuff (thanks for the idea ken) and commenced to melting, cleaning and pouring. i heated up my molds, then started pouring, my first 5+ batches came out quick with no problems. after that i would have sinkers that would bust as they were impacting the wood that i was breaking them out on. i am curious as to if it had to do with my mold temp and it not being given enough time for the sinkers to harden before i would pop them out. i would switch to a different mold and i would have good sinkers then after a while the same thing.

what do you all think? the lead was very clean.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Your mold is to hot. The lead is not cooling enough. I use 3-4 molds at a time that way the lead will get solid before you take it out of the mold.

3. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    yeah i was just pouring into on mold at a time, not all three.... as fast as they would fall out i would close it and pour the next one...

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea, Just give it a bit more time to solidify the alloy...

5. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    your lead needs to cool down little before you remove from the mold. when i am pouring i will try to do about 3 different molds, that way by the time the last mold is poured the first will be ready to remove

6. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i must say i have never had that prob i pour one at a time maybe i am so slow it all works out lol:smile2::smile2::smile2:

7. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    theres one point we're missing thats a possibility. are you pulling all the slag off? impurities in the lead will cause it to be brittle as hard candy. lead from tire shops are extra greasy and nasty. if you do large batches or melt down to much at a time, not all the slag will come to the top at once.

8. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    it is possible, however i did get a large majority out of it. but i am new to the pouring of lead, so some of this is def a possibility. however im tempted to think these other guys are right. my molds were really hot and when ever i would switch to one that was cooled down a bit i could pour 3 or 4 quick batches and then it would start again. but i will take caution to get all the grease and gunk out.

9. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    what ever you do, be careful brother. pourin lead can get ugly quick.

10. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    put a small, like about the size of a vitamin piece of parafin wax in your melting lead it will ignite then go out, then skim the impurities off the top

11. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    I had the same problem last year Jeremy and this is the same advice I got. It solved the problem for me. I am sure it will for you too.

12. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i am sorry but i just dont think the molds are geting to hot in two or 3 pours i have poured the same mold for hrs and this never happend i am leaning to the lead not being good and clean when you think you got all the crud out of the lead stir the lead scraping the side of the pot keep doing this till nuthing comes to the top of the lead i pour 8oz no rolle and dump the mold soon as its poured

13. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    really simple... YOUR LEAD IS TOOO HOT!!! i pour for hours off the same pot with the same mold and never had an issue and i am moving pretty fast when i do it.... just turn your fire down a little and you will be fine.. the only way the mold can get to hot is if the lead is to hot.. also when you get the lead that hot you are putting off some pretty toxic fumes.. turn the fire down and keep on pourin....

14. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    Dallas it could be that his lead itself is getting too hot, it happens to me when i use turkey fryer to melt my lead for my deep sea molds.

15. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i will definitely make sure i do that tomorrow and see i can make the lead cleaner. then i will try it both ways.

16. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Dallas; I was having the same problem pouring 8oz no-rolls last year and was given the same advice. I backed off on the heat a little and solved the problem. I was using a deep fryer like Jeremy and had it roaring.

17. Fatman

Fatman New Member

State:
    Vermont
    I can think of one thing that might be messing you up. Have you checked all the wheel weights??? If you get any with a Z on them those are Zinc and can contaminate your lead.

You might get a lead thermometer and check your temp, if it's getting too hot you could be getting the slush part of the contaminate in your molds.

Fatman

18. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I had it happen to me to the other day...I think the mold id too hot..I switched to my no-roll mold and waited for my bank sinker mold to cool and it workeed just fine after that.

19. josh long

josh long New Member

State:
    Evansville, Illinois
    I am new to pouring lead as well and very happy you posted this thread. anybody who has any other advice please post it. what is a different way to heat it if a turkey fryer is to hot? with out buying an electric melting pot

20. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    torch and a grill or something like that...I used to take a wood clamp and a chain link fence post cap and heat it up with a propane torch and pour it into my molds!!!WOrked ok...but now i got a lee bottom pour pot!!