Sinkers and Free Tire Weights

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by oh no, Dec 3, 2008.

1. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My nephew works for Tire Rack. They are switching to steel tire weights, the first of the year. The only lead weights will be the take offs from mounting customer tires. No new mount goof ups.

I you are getting tire weights for sinker making, you might want to start hitting them up and hoarding those weights. They are about to be a thing of the past.

My nephew dropped me off 3 five gallon buckets of lead last night. We have been hoarding as I knew it would come, just did not know when.

I take the buckets of taped weights and other weights and melt them down to clean it up and pour in Muffin pans. They make nice little ingots of about 1/2 pound, so I have clean lead to use, when making sinkers or pouring 50 cal. bullets. We have made boat anchors out of wheel weight material. They work great with pieces of round stock sticking out , like regular river anchors.

Start Hoarding those Wheel Weights, all Good/Free things come to an End

Oh No

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Thanks that is good to know. But around here there charging an arm and leg for wheel weights. Shoot they used to be free.
    Pete

3. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thankx for that info its good to know.I have found that a 6 pack will get you alot of lead.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    So will a few pounds of skipjack, even if it's frozen.

5. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Yall should check with ypur local scrap metal places. i can buy it for 15 cents a pound now. They only give 10 cents a pound clean,and 5 cents dirty. They will usually sell it to anyone willing to pay. remember,metal prices right now are the same as right after the depression. Now is the time to buy.