Sinker Twist Prob

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by KingCatBrad, Jul 26, 2007.

1. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    Ok Every Time I Go Out And Use The No-Roll Sinkers On My Braided Line And Through It Out There When I Reel It In My Leader Is All Wrapped Up In The Sinker.?.?.?.?.? What Is Going On Here????? Is It Happening When I Reel It In Or What????
    Thank You In Advance...

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have that happen now and then with regular old egg sinkers.

Is it possible that your bait is spinning like crazy on the way in, and that's causing the problem? Sometimes, cut baits will spin like a windmill on the way in...

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Clip off the fins on your cut bait. It helps.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    To add to what the others have said make sure you are using a good quality swivel as well.

5. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
  6. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Is the line too tight going through the sinker??? I never have that problem and i use no-rolls...but i also use mono line.

7. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    I used to have that problem with the braided line, but all you have to do is slow down on the retreival.
    You are causing the bait to spin and that is tangeling you up. Braided line is real bad for that becasue it is not a single strand like mono, so just slow down a bit and if that don't work go to the next size swivel, or maybe get a 3-way swivel.

8. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR

Those are the same swivels that I use and have never had that problem. The next thing that might cause this is if you are using to long of a leader. On live bait don't use a leader longer than 10 inches and 5 to 8 inches would be even better.

9. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    Ok So It Is Hap On The Way In And Not On The Down Fall....... That Is My Main Cons. Is That It Is Hap On The Down Fall. Dont Want To Hang A Hawg And It Stop Me Off Because My Line Was Twisted Around My Sinker..

10. DaveHufford

DaveHufford New Member

State:
    Washington
    See this page: http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40277&highlight=sinker+slide

Using a sinker slide, like this style, can mitigate a lot of the leader wrap around your sinker line. You can make the polyurethane tubing, a little longer than shown. This keeps the sinker away from the leader line when casting. The main line and leader are seperate, from the weight and each has a swivel. When the fish take the bait, they are free to run, without sinker interference, before setting the hook. DH

11. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    What rig are you useing and what length of leader?????That can make a difference in how much spin the current can put in the rig/bait....The faster the current, the shorter the leader needs to be....You can even use a no-roll that slides all the way to the hook/bead.....Dwight

12. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    Well In The Lake That I Fish There Is VERY LIL TO NO CURRENT At All. My Leaders Are Any Where From 6in To 12in. I Went Out To A Farm Pond And Played Around With It. Using No-Roll Weights, Every Time That I Use Braided Main With Braided Leader They Wrap Up Around The Weight. When I Would Use Braided Main Line With Mono Leader They Would Be Just Fine. Using Egg Sinkers And Bank Sinkers I Had No Probs From Braid With Braid At All.

13. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    Always use mono for your leaders. Mono is more abrasion resistant and you can still break it when you get hung. I use 50 lb. ande for leaders anywhere from 8 inches to 3 ft. depending on the type of set up I'm using. I've just switched to 65 lb. power pro for the main line and so far this with the 50 lb. leaders has been working well.