Sinker Slides

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Paraguayguy, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    After I use sinker slides for five or six fishing days, I notice they start to get grooves cut into each end of the slide. I worry that these grooves could potentially cut my 40 pound mono and at the very least quit functioning properly and not sliding anymore when the fish takes the bait. I saw on Ebay a different looking slide that looked like a glass bead with a swivel attached for the sinker. The main line goes through the glass bead. Has anybody used these or is their a better source for sinker slides than the ones I am using? Thanks.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My fishing buddy Mellon uses those slides, I could never see the need in them if you just use a sliding sinker?

3. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    What style of slide do you use? I use the duo lock type and haven't had any problems.:cool2:

4. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I only use them in the river-I can change out weights if conditions change w/out re-tying.

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    That's the one I use that my mono is wearing a notch in. Drives me crazy. I retie all my leaders after every trip and cut 6 feet or so off the main line and retie. I am paranoid about losing the fish of a lifetime.:crazy:

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Heck I do that 5-6 times every time out. No big deal really takes only a sec. or two.

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I'm with the last two. I retie my rigs often. Everytime I rebait I run my fingers over my Ande Mono leader and the last few feet of my Braid. If I feel a knick or abrasion it gets retied. Not worth losing a large fish over thats for sure.

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I’ve been looking at sinker slides lately, and can throw out another option or two. First, there have been a couple of threads on these in the past:

Homemade sinker slider:
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40277&highlight=sinker+slides

Mrmarkedwards and Crucial’s posts in this thread show another option or two:
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62001&highlight=sinker+slide

I’ve built some of my own, picture is attached. Parts for these are:
    • Swivel – Berkley McMahon #2/0 from Catfish Connection
    • Clip – Offshore Angler Duolock #6 from BassPro
    • Tube – 1” section of 8” glowstick tube, from WildWolf
    • Glue – 1 drop hotmelt to keep swivel on tube, probably not absolutely required as it’s already a snug fit on the Berkley swivel.
    I think the glowstick tube will stand up to wear a little better than the plastic slides on the Team Catfish style ones, if not it’s easy to replace it. What I don’t like about this design is the lack of a “weak link” that would allow the sinker to break off if it gets snagged. That can be remedied with a weaker / smaller clip, but that also limits what types and sizes of sinkers it will fit.

Another option might be to build something off of the Offshore Angler Swivel Sleeves from BassPro. These are metal sleeves with a swivel attached, just add a clip of your choice.

One note about clips is that one manufacturers #6 clip may be considerably different size and strength from another. The only one I found to fit a bank sinker of 10oz or bigger were the Offshore Angler #6 from BassPro. It also works well on smaller bank sinkers of 3oz or less, where the Team Catfish ones don’t fit through the eyes of a smaller bank sinker without some (easy) modification with pliers. You can always use different style sinkers – a sinker that has a brass eye will work with most any clip or snap swivel, just be sure the snap is strong enough to survive a hard cast with the heaviest sinker you use.

I’m still experimenting – I may just go with the Team Catfish style ones in the end if they hold up to 12oz sinkers and a reasonable number of casts. With the rivers and lakes frozen around here I haven’t been able play around with them very much out in the wild just yet.

Attached Files:

9. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Good info Gary. The way I've seen the sinker slides used was to tie your lighter sinker dropper directly to the sinker and fashion a loop on the other end to hook in the snap.

10. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i use duo lock they work well for me:wink:

11. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I have to ask. Why use these? I have been using a Carolina rig for as long as I remember. What is the benifit to using these slides? I've tied a larger sinker when I needed more weight and snaped the swivel on the line in front of the slide sinker but I have never used or seen one of these slides used. I have 3 to 8 oz no role sinkers..how would they work with these slides. I love trying new things and look forward to hearing from you guys that use these things.

12. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
  13. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Dave, I’ve mostly done it like you - Carolina Rig with the sinker on the main line. I’m experimenting with sinker slides this year for several reasons. My hoped for benefits are:

1. Quick changes of weights, and the ability to leave my pole pre rigged without the weight banging on the rod and without the drag tightened way down. Just walk in, clip the sinker on, and start fishing.
    2. Allows the sinker to break off so that I can retrieve the hook, and sometimes a fish that would have been lost to a snag. If the sinker is caught up bad enough to break the slide you probably wouldn’t get it back anyway, regardless of how it was attached.
    3. Less snags by not pulling the line down into the muck at the bottom as far.

You can accomplish #2 and #3 without a slide by using a 3 way rig and a lighter line to the sinker. I’ve done that some, and it does seem to help, but it also increases the odds of pulling in a tangled mess of line when fishing current. We will see how well the sinker slides really work, at this point its just something I’m trying out.

It's really meant for bank sinkers or sinkers with eyes, but you can screw an eye bolt into a no roll and use them the same way. Most of my sinker stock is no rolls, so I'm going to be doing that a lot.

14. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Kevin, What did you catch? I didn't realize there was enough open water to fish down there. Cool deal!

15. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Doug, that sounds pretty good. Someone else in another thread said they use nylon zip ties, and clip onto the tie.

16. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Do you have to have special weights to use with these slides? As an example how would I be able to use my 6 or 8 oz no roll sinkers with these slides? I have tried the 3 way and it was a bigger pain in the butt than it was worth to me. I have ran the line through a swivel and then tied a line through a 10 oz that I clipped on the swivel when I needed a lot of weight.. If there was a way to attached different size weights I would be trying these too.

17. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Dave, It probably works best with a bank sinker or a sinker with an eye, but you can use an eye bolt or tie a string through on a no roll - picture attached. The string is tied off to a split ring, but a washer or something would work just as well. The eye bolt probably works better, as you could wear through the string if you drag it around too much.

Attached Files:

18. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Thanks Gary, I think I'll make a dozen or two and try them out. Thanks for the insight. Pictures helped too.

19. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I've noticed the same thing Kenneth with the grooves and also worried about them cutting into my line. Was gonna order another couple packs as replacement.