Sinker Slides

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Katmandeux, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I've never used them before, but they seem like a good idea, so I ordered some from Cabela's.

They have a little plastic tee on the slide, just opposite the snap...anybody know what that's for?

Oh, wait...is it for half-hitching the line, so it won't slide?

2. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I haven't used sinker slides that long myself,but really like them so far. You're right about the little plastic tee on the slide,if you want to hold your sinker in one spot on your line,then just wrap your line around that tee and it will stay in that one spot.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sinker slides work great and can handle some large sinkers.Take small elect slip ties and run through large sinkers and then onto the slide clip. Catfish connection also carrys them in bulk. I hope this helps.:big_smile:

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Hook your baited hook on the"T".It is to keep your terminal tackle from "Windmilling/helicoptering" when casting which causes tangles.your bait falls free when hitting the water.A little practice getting use to it casting and you save bait and your bait is not caught or wrapped in your sinker.Try it before you laugh.This is what it was made for.Many slides do not have it.It is far more popular with coastal surf casters world wide.I love you Brothers and sisters.peewee

5. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    There was a post on how to make your own,
    Place a swivel on a tube and twist it down.
    Since I was using a straw to keep bait up and out
    of the way, I made my sinker slides a foot long,
    with the swivel at top end.

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    This works well with the aquarium air tubing and the right size swivel.You just mash one of the swivel eyes carefully into the tubing,just hard enough to make it hard for the swivel to slide on the tubing,but yet allowing the line to slide through the tubing.I don;t remember the minimum size swivel it takes.Once you learn not to squeeze too tight with the pliers,you got it down.Tubing crosswise in the bottom of a swivel snap.Single strand leader wire through the tubing,haywire twist a loop at each end and you have a spreader rig.Only your imagination limits you with this tubing and it is much cheaper buying a roll and making your own tackle.I have also seen slides made of 1/4 inch copper tubing with swivels crimped slightly into the middle of it or the tubing slightly flared on each end to keep the swivel on.You have to ream each end and smooth all edges of metal tubing to keep the sharp edges from cutting the line.These "Flared Copper slides" were one of the "Secret Weapons" of some of the big Snook,Jew fish and shark fishing fanatics of the 50's.The most secretive of the adults seldom pay any attention to the kids hanging around.If they do,they swear you to secretcy and put you to work helping.The average kid is "deathly afraid" to tell anyone after any threat that he receives from the average adult male over secret fishing and hunting stuff."You want to live another year,you want to go blind,you want your ----- ------- to fall off"?Yep I have heard them too.Didn;t tell either!I took no chances! I assume that is why it did not fall off.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

7. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Thanks guys for this thread...I've entertained the thought of using sliders on my rigs, but keep forgeting to get the stuff to rig it...Hmmmm, guess I'll have to sneak down in the basement and rade my mother's aquarium gear...If I get caught, it's all your fault PeeWee....lol....Thanks again guys, Dwight