Sinker Slides.....Yay..or..Nay..

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by TexzBluz, Jun 30, 2020.

1. MOVINON

MOVINON Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Jeff
    I use egg sinkers exclusively and never have a problem with them. I love the concept of the sinker slide but since I fish in still water I have no need to change the size of the sinker.

Flat Top and Brackish*Water like this.
  2. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Very true Jeff. The sinker slide would be more for Rivers or current. But it is an option that can be added or removed as needed.

MOVINON and Flat Top like this.

3. Bobbycat

Bobbycat Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Bob
    Sinker slide also makes Carolina/Santee rigs more versatile. Adding a slip bobber (factually, the stop knot if we already have a bobber on the line) and the decrease of the sinker weight allow switching from the bottom to “suspended” fishing.

Flat Top likes this.
  4. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    I had never used them but year before last (2018) I put together an order from one of the well know catfish tackle retailers and added a pack to the order. I use them and like the concept but some of my bank sinkers with the eye being part of the cast were too thick for the snap part. Only issue I had with them and not a big deal but I do have a lot of those sinkers.

Brackish*Water, Bobbycat and Flat Top like this.
  5. TexzBluz

TexzBluz Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Billy
    There is an oversize #6 snap that has a wider gap. Supposed to fit those. Got mine from Bottom Dweller's.

6. eastforker

eastforker Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    I had a few problems with some of the snaps not being big enough and the sinkers sometimes getting hung up.
    I didn't know about the bigger slides so
    I started using a short piece of lighter mono than the main line. Attached the lighter mono to the slide with surgeons loop. Used a surgeons loop at the other end to attach to a bank sinker or disc sinker.
    I could easily change out sinker sizes or type of sinker with the surgeons loop knot.
    I have even added eye bolts to no rolls so I could attach them to a sinker slide. I see they sell no rolls with an eye now.
    At the end of the day you unclip the the loop off the slide or untie the sinker.

Bobbycat, TexzBluz and Brackish*Water like this.
  7. TexzBluz

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Billy
    Bottom Dwellers Heavy Duty Braid Resistant Sinker Slides.
    What are the differences in the three sizes we offer?
    To start with all three sizes use the exact same Heavy Duty Nylon Slide (yellow portion). From there we offer 3 different duo-loc snap options. The size #4 duo-loc snap is our smallest option and is great for brass eyed sinkers up to 3-4oz. The we move up to the #6 duo-loc snap that I have personally thrown up to 24 oz sinker with. The we have our most popular and my personal favorite, the oversized snap. The #6 duo-loc and the oversized snaps are constructed from the same gauge wire and are the same overall length. The difference between the two is in the gap. The gap I am referencing is the distance where the snap actually disconnects or opens. On the oversized snap the gap is approx. 1/8″ wider than our # Fgallery2-2.jpg 6 duo-loc snap. This serves two purposes: 1st it allows the oversized snap to accommodate large sinkers with cast in eyes (example: bank or flat bank sinkers). 2nd and more importantly to me. The wider gap makes it a little easier to put on or take off sinkers and with the wider gap the snap does not need to be fully compressed like the #6 duo-loc snap. This is really beneficial in the colder months when your fingers are more sensitive to the cold and wet.

eastforker, Flat Top and Bobbycat like this.
  8. Steve H

Steve H Active Member

State:
    MS
    Name:
    Steven
    Exactly...I often use 12 oz or more in the strong currents of the MS river. I don’t like leaving them on for the ride to or home!

Bobbycat, Flat Top and Brackish*Water like this.
  9. Steve H

Steve H Active Member

State:
    MS
    Name:
    Steven
    Buy quality if you use them..the cheap ones on amazon will have your lead still in the air while the bait is in the water! They break easily!

10. 1gr8bldr

1gr8bldr Well-Known Member

State:
    north carolina
    Name:
    Marty
    The alternative is a carolina rig which requires cutting to change weight. And it frays the line in transit. The sinker slides are great for removal, quick change, etc. I do, though not proven... somehow.. I think I have caught less fish since starting to use them. I actually like the cheap one's. The plastic tears rather than break my line when the weight hangs. They do tangle more than a simple carolina rig. I think it happens during the cast. Once tangled, line strength goes way down

11. Brackish*Water

Brackish*Water Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    here is some pics of the ones I use
    kinda hard to see the leader
    IMG_20200705_200254040.jpg IMG_20200705_200333917.jpg IMG_20200705_200350000.jpg
    they dont slide that great

Bobbycat and Flat Top like this.
  12. Steve H

Steve H Active Member

State:
    MS
    Name:
    Steven
    I agree that I catch more fish on the Carolina rig...maybe the line slides easier when the bait is picked up! The only time I use the slides is if river conditions demand a very heavy weight.

Flat Top likes this.
  13. Smashdn

Smashdn Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    Daniel
    If I need the bait off the bottom I put the sinker on the bottom and use a three way swivel with a shorter dropper for the hook. In moving water the current keeps the bait up off the bottom and out to the side of the sinker and main line. In slack water if you go about 24" up above the sinker and use only a 6-8" dropper for the hook it won't be on the bottom either.

14. garywilson

garywilson Member

State:
    texas
    Name:
    Gary wilson
    I use sliding eggs with punch bait.
    With shad, I use the nylon slides so that I can easily change out weights. Windy area I use up to 3 oz, depending on the velocity. Little to no wind a 1 oz.
    Fish take them and don't feel the resistance till all of the bow is gone from the line.

Bobbycat, TexzBluz and Flat Top like this.
  15. flyfishingnut

flyfishingnut Active Member

State:
    kansas
    Name:
    Heath
    Nay. Don't need another thing to buy and keep track of. Just us extra bead and extra swivel. They are already in the box. 20200707_225236.jpeg

16. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    And that will work just fine Heath. I have used both. Good point.

Flat Top and TexzBluz like this.
  17. TexzBluz

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Billy
    Now that's using your knogging for more than a hat rack. Clever idea.

Bobbycat and Flat Top like this.
  18. bowhunter63

bowhunter63 Well-Known Member

State:
    Springfield Mo
    Name:
    Scott
    I like them for Flathead fishing with live bait. I can switch up my weight according to my bait.

19. insearchofmonsters

insearchofmonsters New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Name:
    Doug Cloud
    I couldn't find any no roll sinkers so I improvised by cutting the middle stem out of a couple water gremlin swivel sinkers. Leaves a hole right through the sinker so I can rig it right on the line. Before I was using sinker sliders with a clip, but I was always getting these snagged on something. With these swivel sinkers on the line I have yet to get caught on anything. Also I just stated using floats rigged about four inches or so above my circle hooks, so this may help too with getting less snags.

TexzBluz and Flat Top like this.