SInker Slide

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by smitty1963, Jun 30, 2008.

1. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    this may sound like a stupid question but,,,,,,,, how do you rig a sinker slide????:embarassed:
    And how effective is a 6 ounce flat sinker in a medium current?????

2. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I just put the slide on, then the swivel, then the leader with hook.
    Thats it, I've never used a 6oz weight only a 5 so far but even a 5 will pull with the current when the tide is fast moving.
    good luck
    david

3. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27: with David,

I rig mine up the same way & a 4oz weight is the most I've use on them, but they are good for most all sinkers. They really come in handy when you need to change your weight, just clip one weight off & clip the other one on.
    (can't beat it)
    :wink:

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Really should add a plastic or a glass bead between the slide and the swivel to protect your knot. Hard banging of the sinker slide against the knot when casting will weaken the knot. I learned that the hard way after losing some nice fish. 6 oz is way plenty in medium current with medium bait. A monster whole shad for bait requires more lead. Good luck

5. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I don't use the bead yet....also if you use braided line the braid will start to saw through the sinker slide so you might want to keep an eye on that also. I just bought some sinker slides where the slide is an inch long, so we will see how that works. I usually get a hang up before the slide gets tore up.
    good luck
    david

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Good point about the slides getting sawed into. I use 40 lb berkeley Big Game and it wears out the slides also and the slides start to chewing up the mono. I am so paranoid about losing a big fish that I retie all my leaders before every outing.

7. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Oh Yea - I forgot to add that I use the Bead to guard my knot. :embarassed:

8. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ken,

Maybe this will help you out good luck

1 ) main line