Sinker Slide

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by MoCatfisher, Oct 14, 2007.

1. MoCatfisher

MoCatfisher New Member

Anyone else recently discover the sinker slides? These things are great...can use bank or flat bank sinkers easy to change/remove the weight without having to retie...no need to carry eggs and bank weights...and they slide over the knot, not banging into it, no beads needed...and they have them that at least claim to not be bothered by the braided lines...

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    John sinker slides is a great terminal tackle item to carry. Another idea of note: I have found that if you want to use 8-10oz bank sinkers with the slide and the clip seems small, just add a small electric zip tie to the sinker then hook the tie through the clip. I hope this will help.

3. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    which sinker slides are you talking about? is it blue with a clip for the sinker? if so they are great, beware of the cheapie plastic ones they'll break if you cast more than 5 or oz on them.

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Team catfish sells some very good ones, and you can purchase on-line!

5. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    This is the sinker slide I was talking about
    What I use is a size 4 spro power swivel and a size 7 doulock snap it tests out at 150lbs more than enough to power cast 8+oz.

Attached Files:

6. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Just out of curiousity how much does the bait and sinker separate after hitting the water, sinking and settling to the bottom?

7. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Jeremy,
    I don't know if I'm misunderstanding your question, or possibly you're misunderstanding the use of the sinker slider.

The distance between the bait and the slider would be determined by the length of trace you use. Basically you'd use it the same way you'd use an egg sinker (Carolina rig kind of style), only now you can use a verity of sinkers such as pyramids, hatteras sinkers, and grappling sinkers that will hold bottom in strong current. Of course you can now change sinker weights as well, as the conditions change.

The bait should be on the hook, which should be on a length of trace (leader) which should be attached to your main line by means of your choice.. a three way, a swivel, loop-D-loop.. etc..

I'll attach a photo of a fishfinder rig illustrating the use of the slider... the fishfinder is basically a modified 'carolina rig'.

Attached Files:

8. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    Kelly thanks for the visual. The picture that I had in my mind was excluding the leader. The mental setup: Hook, swivel, slider w/wgt, and line to get the most sensitivity when getting a bite, then putting the mind in slow motion to actually see the rig hit the water, sink and separate, and resting on the bottom. Appreciated the insight.

9. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Jeremy, don't be limited by the fishfinder rig.. that is just the most common set up for using the slider from shore.

You can actually use them just above the hook, in fact the term I've heard for this is the cannon ball rig.

As for how far the bait will stray from the sinker once it hit's the water... who know's .. it would depend on the bait, the current, how much slack line you allow...personally I havent used the cannon ball, don't like the looks of it, and don't think my mind would change on that.. but I do know of people that tend to use it from time to time.. why? I he** if I know :smile2:

Attached Files:

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Thanks John. Jim and i have been useing them for a year or so now and they do work well. I still put a bead between them and the swivel to cushion the knot but I have lots of beads and maybe it's just habit..
    The red ones are lighter than the blue ones Mark showed and work well for drifting and still fishing with weights up to a few ounces. If you snag up with them the lighter snap swivel will usally open and you can save the rest of your rig, straighten the snap swivel and add another weight on and your ready again.

11. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    I have never used them but just discovered them while salmon fishing up in Michigan, but havent got to try them out just yet, thanks for the insight