Sinker size

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by TX Fisherman, May 12, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    whats a good sinker size for big blue trolling, planning on using large live/dead shiner and bluegill, and about how fast should i troll,

and what size hook and what size line?

2. jetdocx

jetdocx New Member

State:
    Corinth Tx
    Two to three oz will work just fine. Go as slow as you can.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You want the least amount of weight it will take to keep your bait at the depth you want to fish. I don't think I'd troll for them... more like drifting. Most important, you have to be in an area which has the big blues.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would use 1 oz I think thats enough to hold it down.

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You actually want to drift a little slower than the current, and working your bait vertically to avoid snags. But like he said, use the smallest weight possible.

6. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I don't troll per se but do controlled drifting. If there is a lot of current I have had to use as much as 5 oz to keep the bait down. But like some of the others have said, use no more than what it takes to keep the bait down.

Cheez

7. TWEEDER

TWEEDER New Member

State:
    SC
    When drifting bait on the bottom, I use just enough weight to make my rod tips lightly twich. If the rod tips bend then release over and over I feel I have to much weight. I use my GPS to set my speed, normaly 0.1 to 0.2 mph on open lakes without any current. On rivers with steady current I'll check the river current speed first then drift at half that speed. Try it, works for me hope it does in your frishery.

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    weight will have to do with size of bait, depth of water and your boat speed
    bigger bait then to work there way up more then small baits.

9. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I use a slinkey weight about 1 oz. when drifting 90 percent of the time. When I fish deeper water, I use a 2 oz. bank cinker and this will hold the rig down on the bottom. hang up more in the shallower water, so I use the slinkey weight. I don't have as many hangups in the deeper water, so I go to the bank sinker. Hope this helps you. I mainly use shad for drifting too. For some reason lately, they been liking threadfins more, so that's what I been using. Cut the tail off at an angle and run the hook through their eyes. You'll get 'em. Been catching fish in 15-30 ft. of water. good luck!