Sinker Size and type

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by flying_v_64, Dec 20, 2008.

1. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    OK guys what type and weight sinkers do you prefer? How is your sinker type and weight choice effected by current conditions, bait size..Etc?
    I typically use a Carolina rig. I'm going through the learning curve and your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    :big_smile:

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i use several different sinker set ups.if im fishing small rivers from the bank ill us egg sinkers and no rolls and with only enough weight to hold them where i need them.if im fishing lakes or water with no currant at all ill use the smallest egg sinker i can get by with.if im fishing big rivers with lots of currant and im on the bank ill use no rolls up to 16 ounces.if im fishing from the bank ill use claw sinkers up to 16 ounces.these are the sinkers with the wires in them that you shape like an anchor.they will get hung just like an anchor till a fish hits then the wire straitens up and the fish is onand your sinker is free.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I also use carolina rigs. I use a no-roll sinker that will keep my bait where I casted it. I casted it there for a reason. :cool2:

4. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I've been using disc sinkers a friend suggested them they seem good for me at least carolina rig

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    2 oz. no roll disc seems ta work most of the time, if my bait(sunny or gill) seem ta carry it than i might double the weight, but when fishin from the boat 2 oz seems ta hold

6. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey guys, what's a no roll sinker? I have some pyramid shaped sinkers I picked up while surf fishing in Myrtle Beach. Would they be considered "no roll"?

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    With live baits such as big bluegills, I prefer to use 3-way rigs with 3's,4's,5's oz. bank sinkers. If I'm using cut baits....I prefer a carolina rig with a 2 or 3 oz egg sinker. No specific reason other than thats the way I've always done it!:big_smile:

8. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    3-5 oz. no rolls I fish mostly rivers.

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Vic, those pyramids will work ok, but are more likely to hang up on structure when you reel in. The no roll sinkers are flat, usually oval or round with a hole through the center, or sometimes an eye on one end. I use them a lot, usually 2 or 3 ounce, but I don't hesitate to go heavier. The fish will pull my line through a 5 or 6 oz as easily as through a 2 ounce, and the heavier weight is more likely to stay in place. I like the flat oval shaped ones with a hole in the center. When I start to reel in, I tighten the light, pull up with the rod and reel fast. This seems to cause the sinker to plane a little in the current and I get less hangups than with slower retrieves.
    All this said, I also use egg sinkers a lot when fishing downstream of the boat in current, and 'slinky' weights when drifting on the lakes or rivers.
    I fish carolina rigs almost exclusively, with different length mono or flouro leaders, depending on current and structure fished, often adding a crappie float to keep the bait suspended just off the bottom. :0a26:

10. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey Tommy these are some great tips. Thank you Brother!:big_smile:

11. rythymroach

rythymroach New Member

State:
    United States
    I prefer to use a straight line weight between the reel and the hook. I prefer the flat sinkers since they don't travel with a lot of current. I use enough weight to keep whatever size bluegill I fish with in the location I place it.
    So many times especially flatheading the placement usually results in success or no catch at all. Since flatheads love thick cover and usually are holding in an area of big rock or logjams the ability to get the bait to it is critical to the success you have when fishing.

Also you have to be careful with your bait and your sinkers with how you handle them. I believe a lot of times the reason you don't catch a fish is a result of an oversight or mistake on our part.
    i believe if you put gas in your car or boat and the residue gets on your hands it is transferred to your bait. also bug juice , alcohol, among other things transfer a scent on your hands. A catfish with his exceptionally keen sense of smell can detect something as low as 10 parts per billion in the water so my thoughts are such that if you touch a bait or a sinker with something on them it will in essence turn a tasty meal into something that does not attract the fish, because of the strange flavor it may have enhanced from the skeeter juice or gas, beer alcohol ,etc.
    I often look back on unproductive outings and wonder how or what I did to got skunked. I believe strongly this may have something to do with it.
    i also understand now catfish have great sight and hearing as well, flatheads do get spooky!! if you plop a huge sinker here and there or throw your shadow on the water, or use a radio, talk loud, heavy footing on the bank your productivity of catches decrease immensly.
    There's only so much you can do to catch a fish, often times it's not our tackle, but us who fail to realize little things like this that affect our catch ratio.
    I try for the most part to keep my bait where i throw it at whatever log jam or structure there is and use enough weight to keep it there so I do not have to recast. All my big flats were caught when I casted to one spot one time and waited. when I have casted all over to all points I usually get shut out.
    As far as flatties go, they are more of a solitary ambush predator, they don't generally as a rule school like blues do. so weight size/ bait size is extemely important to having a good day catching them.
    I appreciate the things I have learned from other fishermen, it's those who have gone before us, and practiced good conservation and clean site skills that allow us to enjoy good fishing today. I would give anything to be able to get knowledge transplants from all the guys here who successfully catch big Cats. Many times it's not our tackle or rigging that allows us to catch fish, but having a 20/20 vision for the little things that will negate our efforts, that enhance our ability to catch the big boys. Thank you guys for your time.

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i mainly use no roll sinkers in sizes of 4ounces all the way up to 8ounces

13. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Great stuff Greg! Thanks for taking the time to enlighten us with your catfishing know-how.:big_smile:

14. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    good post here and thoughts on the smell thing I have done a lill personal study and I have to say your right ....my ole lady says I am gross washing my hands in shad & river befer we go out ...hey I want to be all natural(LOL)as far as rigs and sinkers go I use several different applacations with different sinkeres-bank and egg sinkers being my top dogs....no rolls are good to I dont put limits on any one thing I will try and experment ..being universal and flexible are very important issues to the process of cattin........

15. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I mostly fish with a carolina rig for the rivers i use around 1-4 ounce no roll sinkers for fast current i dont use the carolina rig just slide on the no roll and tie on a hook let the weight sit ontop of the hook keeps the bait from spinning around all crazy in the water for slower current i dont go over a foot for my leaders useing a carolina rig. When im fishing still waters i use the lightest egg sinkers i can get away with with a foot long leader. When i fish really rocky spots i will use a 3 way rig with a light bell sinker with about a 1 1/2 foot light line so if i hook up with a fish and the weight snags i can just break it off and reel in the fish

16. CatfishAngler25

CatfishAngler25 New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg,Kentucky
    egg sinkers, no rolls, bell sinkers. all different weights to satisfy my needs. and how im fishing and where im fishing

17. wishrman

wishrman New Member

State:
    california
    No matter what shape weight used I only use what it takes to get the job done, less is better for me. There are only channels around here so I get by with light gear and try to make the bait my basic weight, thats all lake fishin. With current fishin for stripes or sturg I used to use pyrmid sinkers but found them somtimes too much to get out of the mud and loose alot in the hook set, now go with flat no rolls. When drifting or trolling, a 3-way swivel with real light line on the bottom ring with lead rope type or slinkys. Man this web is great!! a wealth of info all on my favorite thing. Thanks guys....

18. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i use 1 to 2 oz no roll sinkers most of the time,if im fishing a lake with no current ill use an egg sinker.I normally tie on straight to the line i dont like using leaders and swivels if i dont have to.

19. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    What is the slinky setup that some of you use? Other wise I use 2 to 3 ounce egg sinkers but this year I will try no roll. I use carolina rig for most of my fishing. I also use some floats. I will be doing more flathead fishing too. And try some circle hooks for the first time to see if I will like them. Mike

20. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    are what I use 99.9% of the time. My dad used to work for the local natural gas & water company and he occasionally would come accross a plumber who was tearing out old lead plumbing. He would mooch some lead off of them and I ended up with at least 60 pounds of it. I bought my own mold that makes 1,2,3,4 & 5 ounce egg sinkers and I melt the lead in a cast iron ladle or an aluminum pan I bought at a garage sale heated over my propane camp stove. This set up came in handy when my son was young and he snagged his line frequently. If there's no current I use a 1 ounce and if there is current I use what ever it takes to fight the current. The brand of my mold is "DO-IT" I think. a couple hours of making weights provides me with about a 2 year supply.