Sinker riding up the line on cast?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KansasKatter, Jul 25, 2007.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    The last time I went fishing, I noticed on pole in particular, kept doing the same thing every time I would cast it. My egg sinker would slide up the line, not just a little bit, but a LONG ways up the line while the bait was air borne.

Then of course the sinker would "pull" the bait back towards me as it sank, and by the time I get the slack out of the line, I am fishing about half as far as I meant to cast, or where my bait originally landed.

What the heck is causing this?:crazy:

2. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i've had this happen while lake fishing. the bait weighed more than the weight so when casting the bait would pull the line and let the egg sinker creep back. i just increased the amount of weight and it straightened back out.

3. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I don't know what size sinkers and bait that you were using but my guess would be that your bait was too large for the sinker. A heavier weight should cure the problem.

4. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    or you can bring toothpicks with you and break off a small peice and use it to peg the sinker wherever you want, just slide into where you thread the line threw the sinker.

5. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    rig like youe fishing with a slip bobber but without the bobber.add the snellknot / beed /sinker/beed/swivel/and set the knot 6 or 8 feet up the line . the knot must be tight! this is a good way to fish big menhaden for seatrout.good luck .

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    How long is your leader? If you have a long leader line, you will get that. I never use any leader over a foot. The longer the leader, the higher your sinker will rest on the line and will be easier for it to ride up the line when casting.