Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am prety skilled and all at making sinkers but my uncle bought a splitshot mole and he is havin a hard time getting them out-The do-it reccomends smoking the mold with a candle -does anyone have any other suggestions?I would like to help the stubborn ole dude out-even if he wont listen:wink:

·
Registered
10,792 Posts
I aint ever had that problem ,I have also heard that graphite powder works as good as candle soot.which is what my brother in law an I use.candls are easy to find.:big_smile:

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Take it to a welding shop, or to a friends that has an oxy/acet outfit. Just light the acetelyene and it will carbon the mold lickety split. I couldn't see a shop charging more than $2.00 to smoke the mold, and probably do it for free. Candles work but to me are very, very slow. LOL

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
there is an old thing called a soot pot that we used to use on the rifle rnage. you light it and it put out a black soot, and we would put our rifle sights into it and let the soot darken the sights. it might work well for you. check with your local gun smith and see if they know where to get one.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Want to do it faster? Get one of those 'Tiki Torches' that you can buy for a few bucks and use some old used oil mixed with a little gasoline for fuel.

Want to do it easier? Just go down and buy a spray can of (silicon?) mold release.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I've smoked most of my molds simply using a candle. The quick way of getting it to soot is to buy any tapered or emergency candle and use just the tip of the flame so it goes in the cavities of the mold real good, then make a couple pours of lead and the soot will stay in there practically forever. Hope this helps.:wink:

The main reason I don't use sprays inside the mold is because it burns off quickly and smokes up pretty quick.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.