sinker question

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfish kenny, Apr 10, 2008.

1. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am prety skilled and all at making sinkers but my uncle bought a splitshot mole and he is havin a hard time getting them out-The do-it reccomends smoking the mold with a candle -does anyone have any other suggestions?I would like to help the stubborn ole dude out-even if he wont listen:wink:

2. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Thats the only way I do mine now.At first I was using good ole WD-40 but then I saw about the candle.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I aint ever had that problem ,I have also heard that graphite powder works as good as candle soot.which is what my brother in law an I use.candls are easy to find.:big_smile:

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I havent ever made them im thinking about getting a kit, and making my own

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks fellas-I aint ever had a problem but then I aint borrowed his mold yet either.....:eek:oooh::wink::roll_eyes:

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Take it to a welding shop, or to a friends that has an oxy/acet outfit. Just light the acetelyene and it will carbon the mold lickety split. I couldn't see a shop charging more than $2.00 to smoke the mold, and probably do it for free. Candles work but to me are very, very slow. LOL

7. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    there is an old thing called a soot pot that we used to use on the rifle rnage. you light it and it put out a black soot, and we would put our rifle sights into it and let the soot darken the sights. it might work well for you. check with your local gun smith and see if they know where to get one.

8. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    The easyest I have ever known was wd-40.

9. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Kenny just smoke the mold with a candle it works,I was doing it 25 years ago with bullet molds.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Want to do it faster? Get one of those 'Tiki Torches' that you can buy for a few bucks and use some old used oil mixed with a little gasoline for fuel.

Want to do it easier? Just go down and buy a spray can of (silicon?) mold release.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kenny I have often used Pam Kitchen Spray on molds and love the results.

12. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've smoked most of my molds simply using a candle. The quick way of getting it to soot is to buy any tapered or emergency candle and use just the tip of the flame so it goes in the cavities of the mold real good, then make a couple pours of lead and the soot will stay in there practically forever. Hope this helps.:wink:

The main reason I don't use sprays inside the mold is because it burns off quickly and smokes up pretty quick.

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    RamRod...us Ohio Brothers know nothing about sinkers! lol:eek:oooh: rollo

14. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    And there goes the neighbor hood-Rollo is lost on the river-Ohio that is:wink: