sinker molds

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by fishermanfred, May 9, 2006.

1. fishermanfred

fishermanfred New Member

What do you guys & gals use for sinker molds except store bought, I use a potato cut in half and carved out the shape I want and pour in the lead, a little crude but I don't think the fish mind. What do you use?

2. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    That is a great Idea I wonder if you can also eat the poato when you are done. I use to drill a 1 1/2 inch hole into a 2by4 almost all the way through once the lead was cool i would dril a hole through the sinker this was realy hard to do. SEE YOU ON THE FISHBANK SOMETIME

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    What kind of tater?Irish,Sweet,Red,etc.?I would have thought that the moister content would be too high.Thanks,peewee-williams

4. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Somehow I think when that hot lead hit that moist potato it wouldn't be much fun at all. In fact, I wouldn't want to be within 50 yards of it. LOL Now I have used an idea given to me by Jim Meyer for using bondo in a soda can for making sinkers. And that works pretty good. I most definately wouldn't try the potato idea though! :waaaht:

5. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    fred, when I was a kid my dad and I would use a tablespoon to make flat sinkers for river fishing in fast currents. If you bend a piece of wire or buy small hookeyes you can put them into the end of the tablespoon and pour the lead right over them. Otherwise you have to drill a hole after they cool down.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Melted lead and moisture are an explosive combination...literally. I can show you melted lead on a 10' high ceiling to prove it. When I first started making my own sinkers over 50 years ago, the spoon trick was one of the first things we used. Another is to get some scrap aluminum tubing and fill it with lead; stick a U-shaped piece of coathanger or other strong wire in the end before the lead solidifies for something to tie to. This makes a good no-snag sinker.