Sinker molds

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by fishermanfred, May 9, 2006.

1. fishermanfred

fishermanfred New Member

What do you guys & gals use for sinker molds besides store bought. I use a potato cut in half and carved out, a little crude but I don't think the fish care.
    I was wondering what else a guy could use.

2. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I've used spoons of various sizes, bamboo cane segments. Some of my fishing buddies use wooden blocks , steel bars etc with holes bored between 2 pieces and held tight with a clamp. Some guys take bondo and make an impression of a sinker. You can also use a pan of clean , dry sand, and I stress dry.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
  4. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have some 1/4" aluminium plates that I cut molds out of with diferent types of Drill bits.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'd be very afraid of using a potato for a mold. Moisture of any kind and melted lead just don't go well together. I can show you lead splattered on a 10' ceiling to prove my point. Wood, bondo, plaster or such can be used for temporary molds, but if you're making very many sinkers, a top quality mold will pay for itself in time saved. I've used spoons, homemade molds, cheap molds, and top of the line molds..

6. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    I go to school were they have a machine shop so i had my buddies make the molds, and i just made handles out of wood. I use a piece of mechanics wire for the hole in the center.