sinker molds

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by claymont, May 15, 2009.

1. claymont

claymont New Member

State:
    ohio
    Anyone have experince with the do it your self sinker molds? I was thinking of picking one up and start making my own. I work at a car dealership and have a good supply of lead wheel weights I could melt down to make them with. Just wondering how hard they are to use, and what is the avg price of them?

2. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Clay,
    I saw some at Barlows Tackle for $30+I dont know how much shipping is.From what I have seen, it would be cheaper to buy from some one and support them than buy all the molds and melton pots and all that stuff.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Do-it molds are great molds...it's all I own. Check out Catfish Connection , they are about the cheapest.

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yea, what he said. I've also been using tire weights from a dealership for the last couple of decades. I start out with a coleman stove, a cast iron skillet a metal wire skimmer, a metal ladle, gloves and a cutting torch. Fill the pan with a heaping helping of tire weights with the stove on, torch it to melt them fast, use cupcake tins lubed lightly. Fill your cupcake tins till they're all ful. Then, (this is important) fire the torch back up and heat the cupcake tins till they all melte and the same temperature. gently shake the tin till the lead does'nt jiggle anymore. wait a few seconds after that and flip it over. If you catch it at the right time they'll fall right out. Wait too long and you'll tear the tin apart removing them. I clean my lead and make sinkers in seperate sittings. When your ready to make sinkers, use the ingot lead and the same setup as before. I use the torch a lot. I use it to melt the lead, and use it to preheat my molds as well. just crack the mold open and heat the "gates" I do it as I'm pouring it too. This way I never wait till it's the right temperature. It's always hot enough!

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Oh yea, I only do one pan full at a time. NEVER, try to drop more sinkers into a pan of hot lead. Empty the pan and start over each time. I learned this when I was young and just starting out. The lead was wet too! Bad idea!!

6. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Invest in the do it molds... if you can get lead cheap like you say you can they will pay for their selves in no time.

You don't have to have the fancy smelting pots like they sell but a good cast iron pot and a good fire source is just as good.

I use a cast iron pot and a home made fish cooker for my fire.

There are tons of places that carry the do it molds but you can find them cheaper on other sites than the do it site itself. You can also sometimes find what your looking for on ebay for a real good price.

One thing about the tire wheel weights.... they are a little too hard and usually pretty dirty. It would be best to mix the wheel weights with some other lead when you melt it so the lead won't be so hard. The lead manufacturers harden the lead, depending on the use of it, with tin. Wheel weights have quite a bit of tin in them. To clean the lead you can find some heavy screen wire and shape it into a little scoop and scoop out all the trash... all the dirt and steel will float to the top of the hot lead.

I have been messin around with and melting and pouring lead since I was a kid. There is nothing to it. Most people just make it harder than what it really is. I started out melting my lead over an open fire using a coffee can as a melting pot. Then I would make no roll sinkers using spoons. Just dip some lead into a spoon and let it harden then after it cools drill a hole through the top and ya got it.

7. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Kevin you reminded me of a friend I knew in Michigan and he did that and when we would cast out he called them Slinkers.They did the job and thats all we need to get the best thing going.
    Thanks