Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

sinker molding

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  JERMSQUIRM 
#1 ·
i've just bought a sinker mold . how long does the sinker need to stay in mold before opening. boliver

#4 ·
That will vary, depending on the size of the sinker, and how hot the mold is. That means that the more sinkers you make with a mold during a session, the longer it's going to take for the lead to cool to a solid. Once the mold gets good and hot, I watch the melted lead in the pour spout; when I see it haze over, it's changed to a soft solid. I immediately open the mold and lift out the lead in the mold's pour spout; if it's still soft, it will generally break off right at the sinker, eliminating the need to clip it off with a pair of wirecutters later. By the time I've done that to all the sinkers, it's time to dump them all out and pour a fresh batch. Keep an eye on the sinkers when you dump them out; if pieces break off, you need to wait a little longer before dumping, to let them harden a bit more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.