sinker molding

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by boliver, Nov 6, 2005.

1. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    i've just bought a sinker mold . how long does the sinker need to stay in mold before opening. boliver

2. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    It will depend on who you talk too. LOL
    after i pour a mold,I'll wait approx 3 to 5 seconds then pop it open.
    It will vary though according to how big or small the sinkers that you're making.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    pretty much instantly. when the mold gets real hot they will need a second or two. but usually just an instsnt will do. its pretty fast.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    That will vary, depending on the size of the sinker, and how hot the mold is. That means that the more sinkers you make with a mold during a session, the longer it's going to take for the lead to cool to a solid. Once the mold gets good and hot, I watch the melted lead in the pour spout; when I see it haze over, it's changed to a soft solid. I immediately open the mold and lift out the lead in the mold's pour spout; if it's still soft, it will generally break off right at the sinker, eliminating the need to clip it off with a pair of wirecutters later. By the time I've done that to all the sinkers, it's time to dump them all out and pour a fresh batch. Keep an eye on the sinkers when you dump them out; if pieces break off, you need to wait a little longer before dumping, to let them harden a bit more.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    jerry couldn't have givven a better check in on this. hes exactly right. i have learned thought trial and error watching the eyes break off the banks. i like it when the access scures pop off though.