Sinker mold you can make at home!

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Nov 3, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I SAW A PAGE ON GOOGLE ABOUT PEOPLE USING POTATOS FOR SINKER MOLDS BECASUE!!!!

SO I GOT TO THINKING THAT IF I TOOK SOME PLAYDOUGH AND MADE A IMPRINT....... PUT BAKING POWER IN THE IMPRINT......... AND THEN MAKE CAST OUT OF 1/2 IN CONDUIT YOU GOT A MOND!!!!!

THIS MAY NOT BE GOOD FOR CURRENT BUT 2OZ OF LEAD IS 2OZ OF LEAD:cool2:

I THINK THATS PRETTY CLEVER HUH?!?!?!:wink:

LeRoy

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Check out the library for sinker molds from Bondo.

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thanks for the infro Bro

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Sleek, I wouldn't do it..... I've done the tater thing and it aint no good. When it comes to messing with lead buying a mold is the safest thing to do.

Lead and moisture do not mix !!!!!! Wood...has water in it....potatoes have water in it, most everything has water in it . I've even has some spill on concrete and it blew the concrete up !!!

I'm all for saving money bro but don't play around with 700f lead.....buy the mold !!!!

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I agree with this. 30 or so bucks for a mold that won't hurt you if used properly is the way to go. Safety first always.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I agree that you definitely, positively want to keep melted lead away from moisture! But not all wood has enough moisture in it to cause a problem. If you KNOW the wood has been out of the weather for at least 2 or 3 years, the moisture has had a chance to dry out of it. Old scrap lumber from a house being torn down is even dryer and harder. But it still doesn't make a very good mold. I might use it to make a couple or three sinkers, but for more than that, I'd figure out something else for a mold. And if you plan to make very many sinkers, the mold will definitely pay for itself. IF you can find a mold for the shape you want. When you're fishing on a rocky bottom, a long slim weight will hang up much less than a more conventional shaped sinker. And you usually have to have a mold custom machined to get that kind of shape. That's $30 for the blank mold plus the cost of machining. Too expensive for my pocketbook. Filling a metal tube of some kind can be both safe and effective, though. When I was stationed in California, I mostly fished in 60' deep water over a rocky bottom, so I wanted a sinker that wouldn't hang up too much. I found that filling an aluminum cigar tube with lead gave me a 10 ounce sinker, which was just about the right weight, and the shape kept it from hanging up very often. Think about scrap aluminum lawn chairs, old TV antennas, etc.; also scrap water pipe and electrical conduit. A piece of coathanger stuck into the top before the lead cools gives you something to tie onto.

7. willybob

willybob New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    If you want an inexpensive way to make weights go buy yourself some 3/4 inch pvc pipe ($2.00) and a bag of quickcrete ($4.00) take some old clothes hangers cut whatever size wire you need cut you pvc to whatever size. I think about 2.5 inches makes a 2oz. You will have to put little bends in the wire to keep it in the concrete.If you make your wire run out through the bottom of the pipe it stay somewhat still in the river.

/\
    / \
    _/ \_

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Some real good info in the last few posts. Thanks guys.

9. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA

ahhmen bro...ive splattered myself when pouring and it takes weeks to heal and leaves scars. it isnt worth it to save it 10-15 bucks! You wont ever catch me pouring without welders gloves and anything else i can use to protect myself!

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I make jug and trotline weights like this. I use paper cups and put bent coated wire in it. The idea of pvc to rod fish appeals to me and it likely won't hang bad either.

11. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I use drywall drilled with spade bits for my molds.

12. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    I have used a real old piece of walnut. I traced a quarter on it, then routered it 1/4" deep . I then took a skillsaw and ran a slit thru the middle of it 1/8" deep. I then take a coat hanger and lay it in the slit making sure to pass the mold up by at least an inch. Pour the led in it , let cool remove it from the mold. Next take a pair of pliers and pull the wire out, and you now have about a 1 1/4 oz. no-roll slip weight.

13. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I ordered 2 Do-IT flat no roll sinker molds. 1 is the 1oz thru 3oz and the other is the 3oz to 5 oz. I also got a hot pot 2 with them. It was $118 shipped to the house and it was worth every penny. I make all my weights and I have sold enough to pay for the whole thing so I'm money ahead. I made 50 weights last night in about an hour so I'm set for the fishing trip tomorrow. It's really a good deal if you can find a source for the lead at no cost too.

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If I was ever to make my own sinkers. i would certainly, buy a mold and not use some other kind of device.

15. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    sAme here making em is too much work :wink:......