Sinker mold: Pull pin questions?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by KYTRAPPER, May 30, 2007.

1. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I just bought a palmer egg sinker mold and need to make new pins. I have heard that cloths hanger wire is about the right size, anyone try it????? and what tricks do you know to make the pins easier to pull out when casting?? Thanks

2. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    I've used #12 soilid copper wire for pins. Cheap and work great..
    The longer you leave them in, the harder they are to pull out.
    Also, I made a jig to hold my mold against while I pulled out the pins with Linemans pliers.

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hay Phillip Oil your pins about every 4/5 pours,makes them alot easier t0 pull,plain old motor oil some folks also use beeswax. just buy a toilet wax seal ring a couple bucks and stick your pins in and pull out it will make a World of dfference.J.D.

4. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    well, it makes my wife mad but when i'm pouring i keep one of her big candles handy, when i pull the pin i shove it thru the candle. main thing is pulling the pin rather quick, even in a hot mold the lead sets up in seconds.

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    go to you local welding shop and get the brass braising rod that fits your mold.best thing ive found.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this post. You can also add a piece of broom handle to the welding rod. If you have the room. Works good on egg sinker molds but not on no roll. :lol::big_smile:

7. kdm75

kdm75 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I don't know about the palmer but I have a do it egg mold and went to lowes hardware and got some of those spring steel rods that they use to hold up insulation with and it works great and cheap

8. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Try different size wire for different size holes. Pick the one you like best.

Bike wheel spokes work well, stainless steel. Seems to be a dozen of them at the street on trash day.