Sinker Making

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by bc179whitetail, Feb 3, 2008.

1. bc179whitetail

bc179whitetail New Member

State:
    St.Louis Missouri
    Anyone needing to get alot of sinkers made I have several pots and ladels if anyone needs some to borrow. I think I am done for now poured 125 4lb bars this week. Also have a thirty pound tank and a two burner stove if anyone wants to pour up a bunch let me know.

2. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    where did you find 4lb bars?:smile2:

3. troutline

troutline New Member

State:
    Missouri
    He made his own 4 lb. bars by melting down wheel weights and plumbing lead. From wife of bc.

4. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    OH i was just wondering because i was over at my brother in laws today and he had a brick of lead. i asked him where he found that and he said he did some work on some older gentleman's A/C unit and the gentlemen gave him the bar...

5. bc179whitetail

State:
    St.Louis Missouri
    Gordhawk
    Here are a couple of photos. The box is what I made the other night and then tonight we made around 50 or 60 more. I will probably wind up making around another 130 to 150 then I will have all my stach cleaned up for now. I talked to a guy today he said he has 2 more 5 gal buckets I can have.

Attached Files:

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Gotta like them muffin pans eh? They sure do work well for the old lead pouring. Looks like you are well set on lead for a trip or two :wink:

7. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This may come across as a dumb question...but I've never seen sinkers like those in your pictures....I'm new to this so could someone please fill me in...I feel a little lost. :eek:oooh:

Thanks.

8. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Those look like Muffin Tin sinkers instead of ingots. Get a 3/0 snap swivel, open and bend the snap to go down in the lead. You can substitute a paperclip on the barrel swivel instead of the snap ones which works well also. Tape the swivel with masking tape to the pan so snap dangles where you pour the lead. Then pour a dozen at a time to the desired height depending upon how much weight that you want. There are some places here on the Miss River that you will need a 24 ouncer to get you down there in the Spring flood currents.. The nice part about doing this is that you can regulate the lead poured from a 16 ounce all the way up and just scratch in the top how much they actually weigh. Good luck with the easy way to make the bigger sinkers that we need.

9. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I could use about 100 lbs of lead if you would happen to have a 100 lb chunk laying around somewhere.

10. bc179whitetail

State:
    St.Louis Missouri
    The ones with fence staples in them we use for trotlines or goose decoys. The ones with out staples I will melt down later for sinkers. We were just getting all the pipe cleaned up and the wheel weights.
    Thanks Jeff

11. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I'm in the same boat.

12. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The muffin tins are used mainly to make ingots that are of clean lead that goes into the Lee melters for the final phase of making the weights. Most of the used lead that we get are tire weights that has to be cleaned up. There are many other articles that will help you down in the Jerry’s Sinker Making Institute that shows this process in more detail.

13. paulp155

paulp155 New Member

State:
    Missouri, Bourbon
    do alot of the tire shops just give the lead away or do you have to buy it.

14. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Paul. Most of the major tire chains keep it and recycle it themselves due to the price that keeps inflating that they can get out of it. Look for the locals is the best place to go.

15. bc179whitetail

State:
    St.Louis Missouri
    Gordhawk
    I scored a pile of lead this week if you need some I will get you some. Maybe when I bring my new boat up to work on it I will bring up a 100 pounds for you. Also I might borrow you're no roll mold if you would not mind.