Sinker Making

Discussion in 'Sinker Making Institute' started by Whistler, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    For everyone that makes their own sinkers and lead jig and such, this is the area for you. We've always wanted to have an area dedicated to sinker making so we can get the most info we can to our members. Jerry Trew has volunteered to monitor this area and share his knowlege with all of us. Thanks Jerry for helping out with this section.

2. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Looking forward to it Jerry. I'm just getting started in the sinker making end of it,so I've got a lot to learn.

3. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Looking forward to this thread.Alway open to tips on this.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I just happened to notice that we had a good number of articles in the library on making sinkers, but that you had to do a search of every page in the table of contents to locate them. Please feel free to post your feelings about this, whether you like the idea or not. And any suggestions you have. Vince Copple and I will attempt to take every method, idea, technique, etc. and incorporate all of them into an article on making your own sinkers. Some of this material will be from posts made by other members, and they certainly deserve to get credit for it; I'd like your opinions as to whether it would be best to do a cut & paste with the writer's name mentioned, or simply put a link to their article. It seems to me that our article would be much more readable if we used the cut & paste, but that may not be so. :0a36:

5. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I say the article is much better. No saying you can't acknowledge people at the end of the article. I have written some papers on this topic in the past (for different foundry publications) so if there is any way I can help, just pm me.

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have made a few sinkers in my time so give me a holler if you need any more help..............................................

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If material is cut & pasted from an article into our article, credit will definitely be given to the author.

8. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Jerry, I just copied all the articles from the library I could find that pertained to your subject. Some old info in there. They are in the main section I created here. They are open for your use and discussion. Not sure if the pictures will open up for you, but if not, we can fix it. Thanks.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Ok, thanks. That will make it easier to locate all the separate articles.

10. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i make a lot of 1,2,3,4, and 5 ounce but have never tried making jigheads. it is getting harder to get lead for the sinkers. i have some friends that have tire stores, but walmart and the bigger stores are not letting people have their lead. the manager at the walmart store i used to go to said it is now a hazardous chemical and they have to pay to dispose of it.

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bob check your local scrap yard and big car junk yards they will sometimes sell you buckets for little or nothing.I have a couple around here that take care of me plus I have my crew of fishin buddies on the hunt if they want sinkers since I have the pot/molds.It works out nicely for know.

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jerry this is a great idea. I would like to be the first to thank you for your dedication and input on sinker making. This is an item that will be enjoyed by many present and future members.

13. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Hmmmm.....sure has been awhile since anyone posted here. Nobody interested in making sinkers?

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Sorry, I've had other irons in the fire. I'll try to get back to work on this after the holidays.

15. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Sinker making has been something I have bee wanting to get started in for a while. My brother owns a service garage/car lot and used lead would not be a problem. I just don't really know where to get started. What brand molds, heat source, pot to melt in, types of molds to invest in first? More questions than should ever be necessary. :big_smile:
    I have spent time reading online about making my own weights but don't want to get started off on the wrong foot.
    A guide in the right direction would be very helpful.
    Thanks
    David

16. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    we use a propane fish cooker stand to put our pot on to melt the led or a cast iron skillet works also it takes awhile to melt down the first batch of led after that it melts pretty fast. most important is make very very very sure the led is dry exspecially on wheel weights sometime the metal clips with have mud in them any little bit of water the led will pop and u could get seroiusly burned . just make sure its dry and clean u will be fine. they also sell electric melting pots if u dont have a propane cooker. most of your local bait shops will be able to order the molds for you . i wouldnt do this alone have a partner to help out. the ladel or spoon u will need depends on what size your gonna make. u will see scum come up to the top or metal clips from wheel wieghts just scoop that stuff off the top its junk u want nice bright clean looking led in the pot to poor with . go slow and dont rush and i wouldnt do this with kids close around just too dangerous that goes for pets also. your first couple of poors ur sinkers may not turn out right this is because the molds still cold after it heats up they will come out perfect give the led about minute or 2 before u open it up to take the sinkers out so they have a chance to form right then go again.

17. tigman

tigman New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    As for lead sources, if you know someone who does cerramic tile work they commonly tear out old tile showers which used a lead pan beneath the tile. This is very soft lead and pour much easier than wheel weights. Also you can use a steel pot and an 1100 watt hot plate to melt your lead. This will get you started without spending alot of money. I second having a freind to help you. Some nights I will have as many as 5 men over when we pour. It can be almost as much fun as using the sinkers.

18. yadkinrivercats

yadkinrivercats Member

State:
    mocksville,n.c.
    Thanks for posting the video

19. bclumsky

bclumsky New Member

State:
    kansas city
    I get all my lead from a friend who works for a roofing company. he gets flat clean sheets of it and melts down quick. if you know any roofers ask them about it.

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    David, this thread was opened so we could get ideas and eventually write a very complete manual on making sinkers, but that doesn't help you now. This should at least give you a good start:
    For a heat source, I've used the stove top, an electric hotplate, and various propane burners. The hotplate works pretty well, but you need an electrical source, and if you spill any lead on the hotplate, you can disable it. I was always having to repair mine. I like the propane the best because it's hotter, and can be set up anywhere. Just be sure that whatever you use is solid & sturdy. The last thing you want is a pot of hot lead spilling on you. The electric production pots seem to work well in certain situations, but if you're pouring a lot of large sinkers, you're going to do a lot of waiting for the lead to melt. Also, most of the people I know melt their lead over some other heat source first, remove the slag, then pour it into ingots. Personally, that seems too much like double the work for me to like. I'm sure a big cast iron pot would work great, but I'm not about to waste any of my cast iron pots on melting lead. For over 50 years, I've used a simple heavy duty steel pot or saucepan. The one I've got now will hold a good 30# of lead, and I scrounged it off a garbage pile. Whatever, unless you have a source of absolutely pure lead, you're going to need something to skim the slag and junk off the surface of the melted lead. I like using a big old tablespoon. The handle will quickly get very hot, so I screwed the handle to a stick of wood long enough for me to comfortably hold without touching the metal. You'll also need a pouring ladle, even if you get an electric production pot (to pour ingots). I think cast iron ladles are the most common, but I ran across one that is halfway closed on top, and pours from under the surface, skimming off any minor slag. You can figure thaat the more expensive the mold, the better it will work, and the less trimming you will have to do after pouring and cooling. This may not be so important if you're only making a few of that type sinkers a year, but for the ones you use a lot of, get a good mold, like Do-It. Check ebay for better prices. Don't be surprised if your first few pourings into a cold mold don't turn out. The mold has to get pretty hot before you get a good pour. CAUTION! While it's ok to drop the molded sinkers into a bucket of water, NEVER take a sinker from the water and put it back into the melted lead. The moisture will immediately turn to steam, creating an explosion, blowing melted lead everywhere. I've put melted lead onto a 10' high celing, and had to peel it off my glasses, so when I say to keep moisture away from the mold & melted lead, you're getting it from the horse's mouth. Incidentally, pure lead will pour much better than a lead/alloy mix. If you're pouring something with fine detail, pure lead will fill those small spots, whereas wheel weights may not.