Sinker Making

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by JAYNC, Jan 29, 2007.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Hello all, I am wanting to get into making my own sinkers and was wondering what would be a good lead melter, probably capable of melting about 5lbs at a time, also what molds are the best. I want to make no roll sinkers and maybe some egg sinkers. Thanks

2. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I have the DO-it Hot Pot 2. It holds 4 pounds of lead (plenty). Do-it's molds are great and easy to use. Catfish Connection has what you want.

3. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    you dont need anythig fancy,for cleaning my lead i use a 8" skillet on a turky fryer base and pour it into a corn bread mold(apx.1lb each ear).i also use a small ladle about the size of a orange on a single burner MR.HEAT, i turned facing up on the propane tank,then i also have a lee production pot the pours from the bottom,it holds about 5-6 lbs.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    go ahead and spend the extra money and get a Lee "production pot", you wont be sorry. i started out with a standard "hot-pot" and later upgraded to a production pot. as far as molds go stick with the Do-it brand.

5. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Dale,
    How do I get to the Catfish connections :big_smile: site ?
    Thanks!

6. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    just log in to catfish conn. . com
    then hit online catalog that should take you were you need to be
    an then do a search for the lead pots
    hope this helps its a good site

7. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
  8. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Well thanks guys, I'll have to look into the Lee Production pots and the do it molds. Still have a couple months till I will start catfishing heavy again. That will give me time to get the hang of making them. Where do you guys get your lead. Can you buy it cheap somewhere or do you just find used tire weights.

9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you can get lead from tire shops (weights), roofers (old roof flashing), or if you have a scrap yard nearby you can usually pick up lead for about .25 a lb.

10. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    I have a friend that is an auto mechanic. He gets wheel weights for me for free from the dealer he works for.

I have not made a lot, but I use a turkey fryer base and cast iron pot also. I found that I needed to heat the mold a little also, or they would not turn out just right. Maybe I was doing something wrong.

11. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I use Tire weights. I have a Production Pot also, but it doesn't make some of the larger sinkers as well as a hand pour Hot Pot. Do-it doesn't suggest tire weights because they are hard lead:confused2: . You can also find lead at scrap metal yards. I am not sure on the price though. My tire weights are free:smile2: .

12. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Tire weights work but often require alot of cleaning and when pouring they often need a bit more heat to get a nice pour. My buddies and I get lead from a recycling place for about 25 cents a lb.

13. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    one thing i have found with the lee pot is to have a screw driver handy so when the plunger gets a little crap on it and starts to dribble when its closed give it a quick turn and it will stop leaking,and put it on an old piece of plywood!

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The production pots are definitely slick, but I've never felt the need to buy one in over 50 years of molding sinkers and jigs; a heavy-duty pot or saucepan works just fine for me. For a heat source, I've used a single-burner electric hotplate, a single-burner propane stove that uses 1# tanks, and a fish cooker burner that hooks up to a 20# propane tank. The propane seems to melt the lead faster than anything electric, and I had to repair the electric hotplate several times due to dropping melted lead on it.
    Yes, if the mold isn't hot enough, you'll have trouble getting the melted lead to fill out the entire cavity before it solidifies. Likewise, if it seems to take an extremely long time for the lead to solidify, it's time to let the mold cool off a little; this usually isn't a problem unless you're pouring large sinkers. Wheelweights, tintype, and other such mixtures will work fine for making most sinkers, but if you're molding sinkers or jigs with fine detail, it's worth the trouble and expense to use pure lead.