sinker making tip...

Discussion in 'Sinker Making Institute' started by BLKCLOUD, Dec 17, 2007.

1. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I'm sure this is not new but I just thought about it this weekend and it really works good, I made a big batch of egg sinkers and was having trouble getting them to release from the mold, after a little thinking, I sprayed to mold with some pam cooking spray and the sinkers fell out like a charm.. heres a pic..btw..the beer can in the pic..it was one someone threw out in my yard..I would never drink beer and pour hot molten lead...:wink:

Attached Files:

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    great tip, reps your way.

3. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I will try that as well.

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    very good tip.......................................

5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks for sharing the PAM tip. :big_smile:

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    That's a good tip. I also spray Pam under the deck of my mower to keep grass clippings from sticking.

7. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've been doing this for a while. I like what it does to the mold, and also to the pins in the molds. I hate to admit it though it was the wife who came up with it in my house. I was so pleased with her, I let fix me up some bacon and some beans. LMAO Later Andy

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I keep a tube of grease to dip the rods in every or at least every other pour.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for bringing this great tip back to the top.I have used it for years on all my sinker making. It does a great job, and a little goes a long way.Also saves a lot of mess.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    for a min i thought where ther hells the black truck. i was about to go out and look for it in the yard.,lmao. hence the beer can. theres a natural in front of me now.

11. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I learned lead casting at my grandfather's knee.

He taught me to smoke up the cavity of the mould with the tip of a burning candle flame. The soot deposited a layer of pure carbon on the surface of the mould, and it would cast true and perfect for hundreds of castings... then one would stick. The cavities were re-smoked and used for years.

I still cast sinkers and bullets with the same old moulds that he passed down to me. One old multiple cavity bullet mould is dated 1856. It still casts a damn good bullet .45cal for my muzzleloader.

12. baitshop 2

baitshop 2 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i noticed that you had to put a winch on there? is that for those swift water river sinkers 100 lbs :big_smile:

13. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thanx for the tip ill give pam a try

14. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I still prefer Remington Rem Oil with teflon over pam and wd-40. I got 4 new molds for Christmas and still "cure" them before heating them up and pouring with the Rem Oil. Some say it works, some say it doesnt matter. Whatever... but that is my 2 cents worth..

15. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Great idea, I'm gonna try it next time i do my sinkers. When I made lead impression blocks in the oilfield I would set the acetelyn torch so it would smoke a lot and smoke up the mold. Your idea is a lot easier.

16. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    What do you do,just spray the cavities with Remington Rem Oil,or do you also spray it on the hinges of your molds?

17. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    A tip I learned from back when I was a machinist was to soot what you dont want stuck to with a snuffed out acetylene flame. I use to do alot of it pouring split babbit bearings around shafts. Works everytime.:wink:

18. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Of course everybody knows to preheat your molds, but another tip is not to overheat the lead. Take a sliver of wood and dip into the lead, when the wood just starts to char on the edges, dross the surface (remove the impurities floating on top) its time to pour.

19. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Not snuffed out,,,duh, must be gettin tired, I mean rich (smoking). LOL.

20. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I never thought of using Pam,I've cast more .45 cal round balls and 173 grain .357 simi wad cutter bullets than a strong man could pick up and I always smoked the mold every few hundred casts with a candle.