Sinker Making By Mellon

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by H2O Mellon, Jul 11, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A friend of mine hooked me up w/ a 300 or 400 hundred pounds of X-Ray room lead last year. It was taken from a local hospital, if I recall. I had this stuff at my dad cabin for the last year. I decided to start cutting it down over the weekend. Boy there is ALOT of lead there! :wink: The thing about the way I fish is that I'll need every bit of it, the snags really like me! :tounge_out:

Anyways I started off by using a pair os tin snip like things, then moved to the power saw! I went through two blades, then finally the saws motor went out. I only made it through the 1st piece of lead!

Below are some pics of what it looks like during my sinker making process.

*PLEASE NOTE:
    I dont recomend other do it the same way I do, I will prob end up dying from lead poisoning, as I dont normally wear a mask or gloves or anything like that.

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Pic #1:
    What one of the pieces of lead looked like. Notice the saw, that was while it still worked! I could no way lift the lead, so I had the tow it to the spot w/ my Jeep. Oh yes, the 12 ga & 38 revolver in the background are not normally needed. :big_smile:

Pic #2
    some of the pieces that I cut off, along w/ pic of the melting pot & other accessories

3. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Where's ya pics Mellon?

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Pic #3
    Some of the melted bars. I was melting down the cut pieces into 1 & 1/2 # bars.

Pic #4
    Just some misc sinkers that were made from the metled bars

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Mellon, if you use a mini-muffin pan you'll get 6 or 9(depending on which pan you have) perfect little lead discs. They fit into the 10 lb Lee melting pot perfectly. If you're using a bigger pot, then it's probably not gonna be a problem anyway, but that's what I do.

6. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Bryan how many sinkers are you making at a time? Those bars look like they should keep you busy for a month. I don't mind pouring the lead or knocking the sinkers out of the molds but man I hate sitting there cleaning the edges on those puppies. Just to show you how big a wee-nee I am, I just ordered 9lbs. of sinkers from one of our fellow brothers. I plan on getting hung a few times myself. What kind of saw did you fry? My porter cable (tiger) has burned up a ton of blades but still hanging in there. Yellow like that I thought Dewalt? Milwakee makes a pretty cheap version too. Good Luck my brother, if worse turns to worse, you know you're welcome to some of mine.
    Don

7. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for the pics mellon...they look good. I'm about to buy a molding setup...which one do you have?

I was leaning toward the Do-it molds.

8. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Thanks Bryan for all the info and the pic I also make all my sinkers.:0a31:

:cat:

9. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Hey mellon I get alot of lead like that try a castIron pot with a gas burner. I got one from a yard sale about 12" round and I use the burner from my deep fryer outdoors and you can get muffin pans at yard sales they work great.

10. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    i gt some lead like that an used the coursest wood blade I could find and it cut good. the lead didn't clog the blade that way. it sure was dirty lead though. I ende up with about 1/3 slag as i did sinkers. A course hand saw might work too. thanks for the post.

11. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Mellon you should use some safety precautions if you die young from making sinkers the entertainment around here will start to go downhill.

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If i plan on bring right by the pot & inhaling much of the fumes I'll be carefull or in I am doing it in an area that isnt as well ventialted as the open air of the mighty Hocking Hills!!!! :lol: :big_smile: