Sinker Making at the National gathering!!!

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by TOPS, Mar 1, 2006.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I would like for all that is interested in making sinkers at the national gathering to post, letting us know if you are willing to help/teach the members that do not know how to make the sinkers. I will bring my molds, melting pot and some lead. I would like to melt down some wheel weights, showing members how to skim off the impurities, remove the metal clips, and pour the lead into ingots. I will also bring my electric hot plate to melt down the wheel wights. What do you members think about this idea.

2. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Tops. Sounds like a great idea. We do that at the ILL gathering. It always seems to turn in to an all day thing. If I can make it I will bring my melting pot also.

3. ultima_cat_man

ultima_cat_man New Member

State:
    granite city, ill
    im bringing my no roll mold 3,4,5 oz, i have never melted weights before but took 2 buckets from work today and gonna melt them down this weekend, i will have 2 more bucks before the gathering, tim

4. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Just a word of advice when melting wheel weights. DO NOT melt them in your lead pouring pot. Melt them in a different container and get the lead clean before puting it in your lead pouring melter. Tire weights are very good but very dirty.

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Bearcat, that is why I would like to melt some wheel weight. To show members how dirty they can be. I also would like to show how to pour the wheel weights into manageable ingots.

6. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Souds great to me Top, I called around today looking for wheel weights and have been thinking about getting into the weight making business. I want to learn all I can.

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Buster, I will show you what I know, I have learned from my fishing partner and the B.O.C. We have members on here that are very smart and can teach us alot. I have a set of no rolls sinker molds and I have a set of bank sinker molds coming from CC. I have a melting pot, it is the LEE brand! You get the lead and we will hook up and make some sinkers. You can use my stuff and see if you would like to make sinkers, if so then you can get you some sinker making equipment.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you guys want to clean that lead some before you melt them you can soak them in vinegar solution. Say 60% percent vinegar and water it will clean them of a lot of dirt and grease. I use the white vinegar or you can use the colored kind.

Soak for about 24 hrs and then let dry.

9. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I have used wheel weights and they are available, but lots of dirt etc. Sometimes I can find plumbers lead from plumbers who have remodeled homes. The used plumbers lead is more pure, so it melts and flows easier. What are some other sources of lead than wheel weights. Oh! I have found lead at scrap iron businesses, but have had a few "non-lead" pieces in with the lead. I have some big molds too (16 to 20oz) and the mold really needs to be warm to handle those puppies! (Takes a stiff rod too!) Hannibal Mike

10. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Mike, My brother is in the drywall business and he can get lead from the drywall that they use in ex ray rooms. He will save me the entire batch the next time he hangs some lead lined drywall.

P.S. My brother will become a B.O.C. member from Louisiana as soon as he can upgrade his computer. He has dile-up and it takes FOR EVER to get on-line. The man is set he already has a pontoon boat and an RV,heck seems to me he should get that computer going.

11. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    A pot party at the national gathering sounds great to me. I'll bring some extra lead for members that have trouble finding it. We can set up a few tables and let members pour what they want.

12. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I think that was already covered in another thread....... I personaly would love to see, learn, and master the fine art of making your own sinkers. I watched a little during Catstock last year, but the Nekked Fat Man chased me away before I could learn anything.

Ray

13. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    My bank sinker molds came in today. I now, should be set for the type sinkers that I use. I am still waiting for my elect. hot plate to come before I start melting down the wheel weights in to ingots.

14. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Sounds like a good idea, I know I for one would like to lean to do some.

15. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Well, The new hot plate came in a couple days ago. I melted some dirty lead yesterday 24 March 06. worked really well. I sould be set now.

16. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am one who would like to learn. Great Idea,

17. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I tried my new hot plate today. Work very well!!