Sinker Lead

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by tbull, Dec 3, 2007.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Anyone know some good places to round up lead for molds?

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    start with tire shops

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    That's the easiest way to find them. Especially the mom & pop outfits. If they haven't been hit up in awhile you can score a couple 5 gallon buckets full.

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    H2O Mellon may be able to help you out, he has a few good sources for them and may be able to trade you for something of use , send him a PM
    Salmonid

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Do they charge you for the lead at the tire shops?

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Alot of the tire shops recycle lead now. so, they'll likely charge you for it. try car dealerships. they have a decent supply, but dont generate enough to recycle. dont go in the front either. go in the back and ask one of the techs. he'll probably be happy to lower the back bumper on your truck for free..

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have paid up to 5 dollars for a large coffeye can of lead before. and other times just stopping and asking they have gave me a 5 gal. bucket full.. for free.. just need to check the tire shops out..goodluck..rollo

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    ALSO IF YOU HAVE A LOCAL SCRAP YARD SOME WILL SELL IT TO YOU FOR POUNDAGE IN SCRAP PRICE,LAST TIME I GOT SOME IT WAS LIKE .25 CENTS A POUND AND TWO OF US WENT IN ON LIKE 30 POUNDS WITCH AMOUNTED TO NOTHING.

9. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    At the scrap yard lead is 80cents here. tire shops will give you junk lead cheat.

10. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i got 200 lbs of lead if you wanna come to the house sometime and sit around and make sinkers for a few hours come on and you can get all the sinkers you feel like makin

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i like all im reading...let me just give alittle advice.. make sure you have great ventaltion.. lead seems harmless when melting and molding. But, it is very harmful and can cause reproductive harm! and it stays in ones system for a while.. im not posting to distract from molding.. i mold all of my sinkers... im just giving some info. and i hope you guys will research it some if you haven't already... stay safe and goodluck..rollo

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Rollo, You would be amazed at the thick black smoke that has filled RamRods garage lol. We had to open the garage door and let in all the cold air cause we couldn't see or breath thru the smoke lol. I'd be the first to tell any of you: Be careful around molten lead. Make sure you have ventilation, and limit your direct skin exposure to fresh poured lead. That means use gloves whenever possible.

13. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Keep your eye out for someone tearing an old house down a lot of them had old cast iron pipes and the joints had lead pored in them to seal them. If thay will let you get it bust the joints with a slege hammer.

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if you are molding inside any garage or confined space... that is not good.. lead especially the fumes off of liquid lead is nothing to deal with! I try to do my molding outside and still use a fan to help direct the air.. guys if you are molding inside a garage.. i would reconsider,, you may not notice the difference, but lead is a killer, and you are not only breathing and intaking the material,,, it is also attaching to your clothing and you are bringing it inside to your family as well... be carefull once again...this is dangerous ..rollo

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Thanks Rollo, I was wondering why I couldn't remember my name after each of these gatherings. LOL
    Just remember guys "Safety First" No amount of cheap sinkers is worth your life. Keep fresh oxygen in the work shop, and vent out the harmful fumes. You can have a great time making sinkers with your buddies. You just need to make it to next years gathering LOL.

16. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    Not only all of the above recommendations for safety, but I recently heard that the price of lead is going crazy, because the Chinese are buying up all the lead that they can.

17. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio

alot of time depending on how old the house is i have found some that the whole water line was lead. they made the pipes out of really soft lead though. but you can't beat it for free. i have about 200lbs of old lead water line